Nerve - Purbeck

MY NAME IS CHLOE MANSON, AND I’M GOING INTO MY THIRD YEAR OF STUDYING ENGLISH. AFTER LOOKING INTO THE DIFFERENT HALLS OF RESIDENCE ON OFFER, I DECIDED TO CHOOSE PURBECK AS MY FIRST CHOICE.

I was not disappointed when I arrived at my first floor flat. I was placed in a mixed flat with five other housemates. Our rooms were all identical, with a single bed, wardrobe, desk and en suite bathroom. I found that having an en suite was a great advantage, and can’t imagine having lived in halls without one. The bus stop was across the road, and took me approximately 15-20 minutes to get to uni. The Old Fire Station was merely a 10 minute walk away, and the halls were generally a great distance to everything in town and a short walk away from Asda. I realised when moving further away in second year just how much I took advantage of living right by clubs and the beach.

2When I first moved in I was nervous and admittedly I wasn’t even sure I wanted to be at uni. But as I settled in, made friends and realised just how great a place Bournemouth is, I became sure that I had made the right choice. It was strange at first having to be so independent, but was also enjoyable. Living as a group of six proved difficult when it came to cleaning the kitchen. Living conditions and communication really depend on who you are put with. Compromise is essential but is not always possible. But experiencing this is, to be honest, just a part of student living, and student living is great. The halls also had a communal area both inside and outside. If you ever fancy making new friends outside your flat then the communal areas are great!

My favourite part of living in student halls of residence was being so close to town and being in the same building as so many of my friends. It was nice to be able to just walk up the stairs or get the lift up to see friends at any time of day or night.

If I was a fresher again, I would have made the most of being walking distance away from so many places. I also wish I had got myself involved with societies, as I did not take part in any and learnt in my second year how beneficial this could have been for me. Make the most of your year in Purbeck; you’ll have a great time!

By Chloe Manson

Originally published on Nerve Media

Interested in writing for Nerve News next term? Or reading our radio bulletins? Message our Facebook or Twitter pages or email us at news@nervemedia.org.uk