Sandra Achim (Romania)

My name is Sandra Achim and I’m studying MSc Events Management. Before, I came here I thought that university was just about studying, but I’ve changed my opinion. Here at Bournemouth University and in Bournemouth, there are lots of opportunities for students to be involved in different activities and be part of a community with people sharing the same interests.

Since coming to Bournemouth, I decided that I wanted to help and do some volunteer work. At present, I’m a volunteer at OXFAM, a charity organization in Boscombe. They provide help for people to get food and the essentials they need to survive in different countries and ensure the most vulnerable are kept safe from harm. Sometimes I find good opportunities in SUBU and many of them are related to my studies. Maybe some of you are asking why you should volunteer and why can’t you simply enjoy your free time during your studies in Bournemouth. In my opinion, there are many reasons why you should choose to volunteer and here are some of them.

Career Booster

Volunteering is good for your career. Did you know volunteering is an excellent way to boost your career prospects? While volunteering you create different relationships and these relationships are important because they provide access to information and opportunities. Volunteering is viewed as a way to create new connections that will lead to career opportunities. It helps you create a positive impression, makes you more innovative, creative and gives you a range of useful skills.

You can make a difference

Volunteering gives you the chance to work with the kind of community and world you want to live in. It gives you the opportunity to be part of something bigger than yourself and use your skills and responsibility for the greater good. Without people like us, willing to sacrifice their time and skills to meaningful causes, this world would be worse off.

You can change someone’s life

What better reason is there to volunteer? Your actions, big or small, will have an impact on someone’s life. If not now, then later. By teaching someone to write and speak you are helping them to break out of poverty and you are giving them access to better job opportunities. They will have a better quality of life because of you. That is a wonderful thing and will help you to be proud of yourself.

It’s fun

Of course, volunteering is also fun! I can say this from my experience. It’s a way to meet new people, find out about cultural traditions and go on adventures. Combining this with all the selfless reasons to volunteer, it makes an unforgettable experience for you. An experience which will stay with you for the rest of your life. Do something good! Help make the changes that you would like to see in this world!

By Sandra Achim, Romania, MSc Events Management, 2017/18