Sandra Achim (Romania)

I am Sandra Achim from Romania and I am currently studying an MSc Events Management at Bournemouth University.  I can remember how it felt when I was packing and preparing before I left for Bournemouth. There is no doubt that getting ready to go abroad as a student can be challenging but it can also be one the best experiences of your life.

The challenge of packing light

The most difficult part for me was to choose what to bring with me and what I should leave at home. I think this is always a problem for a girl, not only when studying abroad but also when going on holiday. I was worried that there would not be enough space in just one suitcase?  I know that many students may have a detailed packing list but I still found this the ultimate challenge, packing everything you need to live in a different country in just ONE suitcase. You may freak out a little bit but don’t worry there is always a solution for everything. What would I have done differently if I had the chance to go back in time? Well, I would only pack what’s essential to me and more clothes for cold weather because in the UK you can never have enough cold weather clothes or jackets.

Another piece of advice I would give from my experience of moving here is to bring more medicine from home. I was advised by my mom to do this, but I thought that I would be able to find the medicine I needed in the UK. BIG mistake. There are a lot of procedures and regulations in the UK and you can’t buy pills without a prescription from a doctor.  I would advise you as a future student to bring any medication you use with you even if you only use them occasionally.

Tips for the perfect packing

When packing, make sure you place the heaviest things at the bottom of your suitcase. A good way to gain space is to roll your clothes up instead of folding them this makes them much smaller and will then give you more space and help to better organise your luggage. You can roll your socks and smaller items into your shoes.  Finally, last but not least, wear more clothes when you travel to reduce what needs to be packed. If you are unable to fit everything into your suitcase and you really need the things that you can’t fit in, you can arrange to have them shipped to you at a later date.

Happy packing for one of the most exciting adventures of your life and enjoy the rest of your study abroad experience!

PS: While you are packing, please remember to leave some space in the luggage for your personal possessions to make you feel more at home! Have a safe voyage!

Sandra Achim, Romania, MSc Events Management, 2017/18