A project commissioned by the Observatory of the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) on the Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights is carried out by CIPPM in collaboration with Milieu Consulting SPRL.
This 4-year project will run from January 2021 to December 2024, with the objective being to expand, update and consolidate the EUIPO’s eSearch Case Law system (database including key national case-law in the area of IP enforcement).
The collection of judgments across EU Member States stems from the European Commission’s Communication: A balanced IP enforcement system responding to today’s societal challenges (COM(2017) 707 final) which states that ‘transparency about judgements on IPR enforcement is an essential pre-requisite for knowledge exchanges across the single market’ and the Council Conclusions on the enforcement of IP rights in the EU (6681/18 1 March 2018) which invites Member States to consider in cooperation with the Observatory, the systematic publication of judgements in IPR enforcement cases.
These objectives also form part of the Observatory’s Work Programme 2020 and is expected to contribute to a ‘more efficient and predictable juridical enforcement regime in the EU’.
Keeping in step with the above aims, this Collection will take forward the work begun by the EUIPO in 2014 in collecting national key enforcement judgments from the Member States that are related to IPRs. As such, the project will:
- Provide key enforcement judgments from EU Member States currently not participating in the project (begun in 2014);
- Provide key enforcement judgments from participating EU Member States that are no longer available to provide them; and
- Check and provide updates of key enforcement judgments from non-participating EU Member States collected internally by EUIPO.
- Dr Dukki Hong (CIPPM/BU)
- Dr Marcella Favale (CIPPM/BU)
- Ela Omersa (Milieu)
- Julie Dorval (Milieu)
- Winona Vrancken (Milieu)
- Dr. Michael Woller (Schoenherr Law, Austria)
- Dr. Jozefien Vanherpe (KU Leuven, Belgium)
- Dr. Fanny Koleva, Dr. Miglena Molhova and Dr. Rumiana Brestnichka (University of National and World Economy, Sofia, Bulgaria)
- Ms. Kristina Delfin Kanceljak (Attorney at Law, Croatian Bar Association, Croatia) and Ms. Maja Praljak (Judge, Commercial Court of Zagreb, Croatia)
- Dr. Tatiana Eleni Synodinou (University of Cyprus, Cyprus)
- Prof. Dr. Aleksei Kelli (University of Tartu, Estonia )
- Prof. Dr. Alexander Peukert (Goethe Universität, Frankfurt a/M, Germany)
- Dr. Monique Farrugia and Dr. Ivan Vella (Vella Advocates, Malta)
- Dr. Maurice Schellekens (University of Tilburg Law School, Netherlands)
- Dr. Iga Bałos-Stoczewska (Andrzej Frycz Modrzewski Krakow University, Poland)
- Prof. Dr. Tito Rendas (Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Portugal) and Ms. Margarida Vasconcelos (CCA Law, Portugal)
- Dr. Rãzvan Dincã and (Rãzvan Dincã & Asociatii and University of Bucharest, Romania) and Dr. Ionut Cofaru (Rãzvan Dincã & Asociatii, Romania)
Past National Experts
- Axel Paul Ringelhann (Legal Counsel, Austria, 2020-2021)
- Miguel Godinho (CCA Law, Portugal, 2020-2022)
- Prof. Dr. Esther Van Zimmeren (University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2020-2023)
- Prof. Dr. Taina Pihlajarinne and Dr. Olli Honkkila (University of Helsinki, Finland, 2020-2022)*
*As part of this project, the collection of key enforcement judgments from Finland was needed and carried out between 2020-2022 only.
A team of Voluntary Expert Reviewers drawn from the above Member States also form part of the Project Team as part of the quality review process. They are:
- Mag. Dr. Adolf Zemann (Austria)
- Mr. Paul Maeyaert (Belgium)
- Mr. Ventsislav Tomov (Bulgaria)
- Mr. Aleksandar Bijelić (Croatia)
- Ms. Eleni Papacharalambous (Cyprus)
- Prof. Dr Age Värv (Estonia)
- Prof. Dr. Jan Nordemann (Germany)
- Dr. Bernd Justin Jüste (Luxembourg)
- Dr. Ioannis Revolidis (Malta)
- Prof. Dr. Stef van Gompel (Netherlands)
- Dr. hab. Justyna Ożegalska-Trybalska (Poland)
- Prof. Dr. Dário Moura Vicente and Ms. Ana Maria Pereira da Silva (Portugal)
- Ms. Ana-Maria Baciu (Romania)
Past Voluntary Expert Reviewers
- Prof. Rosa Ballardini (Finland)
- Prof. Anselm Kamperman-Sanders (Netherlands)
The Project Team would also like to acknowledge the contribution made by an independent reviewer who supported the selection of key enforcement judgments.
- Dessislava Iordanova (Bulgaria)