Hussein Produced by

BA Hons Multimedia Journalism

Landscape view of beach and hills near the Jurassic Coast

Beautiful Dorset – remember to get out there and explore!

Three years ago I came to university to not only receive a qualification in a career that I want but to get a new start. A fresh beginning to continue learning about life and being independent. University itself is not the easiest of times and it is an experience that vary. It is one where the more you invest time and effort in the more benefits and opportunities you will get. The uni life are meant to be yours, structured to how you want to do it and give you that sense of learning of who you want to be and finding your people and of course learning your degree.

Image of the Old Firestation - student night club

The Old Firestation – best place for student nights out

When I moved into student village in first year, I took time to reflect who I want to be and the life that I wanted to lead and look at all the opportunities I have. Aside from the pandemic I was able to do an array of things. From work and learning, volunteering and securing opportunities to work with Bauer and BBC and become a presenter and station manager of Nerve Radio. But also being able to hang out and build solid friendships and contacts, and to attend events, gigs, protests, volunteer opportunities, festivals, which in turn have created some of my greatest memories. But here are some takeaways that I would like to share. 

What has uni taught me?
Four students dressed in formal wear

Me with some of my best friends

Professionally it taught me all the skills I need as a multimedia journalist, however personally it taught me how to live my life how I want to. It taught me of who I wanted to have in my life, to practice professional and personal independence. It gave moments where I had to learn my boundaries, and invest in the aspects of life and work that is to my benefit. Moreover, it taught me that opportunities are endless, there is always something to do, somewhere to be, and someone to see. All you have to do is simply go out there and do it.

My word of advice…
Hussein, the blog writer, with three other friends from University in Bournemouth gardens at night

Remember to take those opportunities and stay true to yourself

I say take things as they come but grab every opportunity that you want. University is a time for yourself, your studies, your interests and hobbies. Amongst finding friends, making memories, and learning your degree it is important to take the time to do the things you want to do and not be scared even if you have to do it alone. And always remind yourself what your reason was to coming to university, always go back to why you are doing the degree that you do. Lastly, don’t forget to have fun and be yourself, have fun and manage the stress as they come.

My university experience with BU is now ending, and it has been a pleasure to be writing blogs and edit vlogs over the past years. Thank you for reading my experiences and I hope the advices and tips were helpful. I wish the newcomers the best of luck and hopefully your time at BU will be the start of the best years of your life. Take care and farewell!