We are happy to announce this first TREFF call for proposals, TREFF (German word) – meeting point / coming together (thanks to Stephen Jukes!)
Please note this call is not open to staff in FMC, since a specific call to that faculty has already been distributed. One TREFF project will be funded in FMC by CEMP (see call from Isabella Rega) and one from UoA25 for non-FMC staff (read on).
With the forthcoming Teaching Excellence Framework and the new version of REF, after the STERN report, ahead of us, we are keen to explore ways of working that converge pedagogic innovation with educational research in BU’s subject areas. Our view is that separating TEF and REF is problematic and that the STERN report and TEF together provide rich opportunities for higher education practitioners to align teaching excellence with impactful research.
Towards this, we are offering a small grant of £750 to fund a T/REF pilot project (TREFF).
The funding must be spent by the end of July 2017 and be supported by line manager(s), with the following outcomes:
- An action research intervention that aims to make a significant difference to learning and teaching, related directly to the criteria for TEF;
- The submission of a journal article reporting on the findings of the project and their significance for educational research (or a related field) outside of BU;
- A presentation to faculty staff on how the project converged TEF and REF criteria (for unit of assessment 25 – Education)
More information on STERN – attached.
Proposals should be submitted to both Debbie Holley and Julian McDougall, by email, consisting of 2 elements:
- A succinct proposal for the action research project, including the proposed outcomes (no more than 2 sides of A4)
- A detailed expenditure plan for the funding – maximum £750.
Line manager support must also be confirmed at the point of application.
Deadline for proposals – Feb 28th 2017
Projects to be completed / funding spent by 31.7.17
We are looking forward to receiving your applications!
Debbie and Julian