Ashleigh Produced by

BSc (Hons) Geography

If you are planning to move away from home to go to university, once you have accepted your offer, you will probably want to start thinking about your new accommodation! This is very exciting as for many students, it is the first chance that we get to live independently. Move in day is a special day….the start of your new-found freedom!

Arrivals

Everyone moving in their stuff with their families at the same time can get a little hectic, so for this reason you will most likely be given an arrival slot. Upon arrival, there will be ambassadors i.e. people like me!! In pink and orange t-shirts to help you get into the swing of things. You will register, collect your keys and then begin to move your stuff in to build your new home from home!

Move in day worries

It is completely natural to feel a little nervous before moving away to uni, so don’t worry if you feel this way. Rest assured that whoever you arrive with, there will be plenty of friendly help available to get you settled. There are however some vital things that you mustn’t forget, so making sure these things have been done/are packed and ready to go before the day, will ensure no extra stress:

• A form of ID (driving licesnse, passport etc)
  • That you have completed all the necessary paperwork for your new accommodation (this will be done online beforehand via email telling you exactly what you need to do)

ResLifeBU 

ResLifeBU is a service offered only in BU accommodation, designed to make your transition into living at university as smooth as possible. They run a range of activities across three main principles:

1. Social (nights out, movie nights, gaming sessions in the common rooms, pizza, BBQ’s and volleyball on the beach to name but a few!)
  2. Wellbeing – looking out for your welfare by offering support in a variety of different ways, including homesickness as this is common in many students (it certainly was for me)
  3. Skills – Workshops and activities designed to help you get the best out of your independent learning journey and university experience

These events can help you to feel more integrated in a new place away from home, and they are also a fantastic way to make new friends! I found getting involved with these types of activities such a great way to get used to living in a new city, and the great thing is that there is something for everyone.

What to pack?!

Knowing how much and what to pack can also be difficult as it will most likely be a process you have never done on your own before. The best piece of advice I can give here is to not overpack! I DEFINITELY did this, and it wasn’t the greatest idea seeing as student accommodation isn’t the most spacious! If you are stuck for what to bring to make your new accommodation feel more homely, check out this blog written by a former ambassador which covers some tips that might help!

Here are some photos of a few of my friend’s lovely bedrooms for inspiration!

Goodbyes and homesickness

Goodbyes can be quite difficult at the end of move in days… I will admit I did feel a little sad initially when my parents left, but this didn’t last for long as there were so many things to get stuck into! Before I knew it my flatmates and I were doing our first food shop together and discussing what movie we were going to watch after which made me feel a lot better.

I hope this has helped you get a feel for what Move In Day is like…if you are planning to move away to university soon, I hope you are excited to start your new journey of independent living and wish you the best of luck!