Hannah smiles to the camera in this selfie style image. she wears a strappy black and white checked top and a dainty silver chain necklace. This is a guest blog from Hannah Clubley BA (Hons) Television Production student. 

I’m Hannah, a third year Television Production student, and I wanted to share my recent experience working on a VT (Video Tape) shoot which aired on The One Show!

I was lucky enough to be a runner on the shoot which was a brilliant experience. It gave me valuable insight into industry standard location filming, helping me to develop my hands on skills and filming knowledge as well as increasing my pool of contacts.

It was also my first ever TV credit which was incredibly exciting!

The backs of two camera operators, wearing rain macs are shown kneeling on the beach infront of two RNLI staff wearing red rain macs. Bournemouth pier is pictured behind them and a fluffy boom microphone can be seen to the right of the image.

Filming on Bournemouth beach

Taking place over two days of filming, the VT was an informative piece about the RNLI (The Royal National Lifeboat Institution). It followed their last training session before the summer season started, showing the importance of their work and promoting the message of staying safe in open water.

I was involved with day one of filming on Bournemouth beach where I was responsible for looking after the crew and contributors, making sure everyone had enough food and water, helping with the rigging and derigging of kit, getting contributor release forms signed and taking press shots (one of which was actually used as the official press release!).

I would encourage anyone aspiring towards a career in media, particularly television, to seize opportunities like this as they are great for gaining professional experience which will really help to launch your career. If you are passionate about media it is so exciting to be involved in projects like this and to be able to see something you have worked on aired on television!

Hannah's hand holds a camera, the backdrop to this is the sandy beach, overcast blue/grey sky and the RNLI's branded jet ski on a transportation vehicle.If you are wondering where to find opportunities like these there are loads of Facebook groups where production companies post available job roles, which is actually how I found this!

My top tips would be… show you are eager and enthusiastic, be persistent – it is a very competitive industry, especially when starting out so don’t give up, and don’t wait for work to come to you, be proactive and adaptable!