Hannah Produced by

Final year

BA (Hons) Social Work

After studying BA (Hons) Social Work for nearly 3 years, my degree is coming to an end. Final year at university can feel pretty daunting and full on, but for me I found myself making the most of all the offers and opportunities Bournemouth University have for us. In my final year, we experienced guest speakers from lecturers and researchers from other universities. The best part about this, was BU even set up guest speakers via Zoom, in order for us to have full accessibility of speakers. We had plenty of opportunity to ask questions about dissertation research, employment research and where the degree can take us. My lecturers were brilliant at setting up small group tutor meetings where we could discuss interview preparation. They reminded us that we should interview these offers of employment also, and that we need to make sure each offer is the right fit for us, as much as they are looking for the right fit to their team. I felt empowered to make the right decision for me and my family, whilst looking for my first graduate job, not being afraid to turn jobs down and wait for the right one. Bournemouth University offer 1-1 Interview preparation, which you can book mock interviews to practice in MyCareerHub. They provide lots of resources, advice and guidance on how to ace your interviews and what to look for in employers.

A careers event at BU

I also attended Career Fairs. There was one designed for Health & Social Care courses, where I could chat to employers for social services and find out what they would expect at interview, an average day working for them and what departments and roles were available currently. These are great at making connections. I was able to go home with emails and numbers from various departments and employers asking me to get in contact when I begin my job search. This was a great start to building a network of potential employers up and feeling like I had options.

For my final placement, I was able to choose an area that I would like to specialise in, which allowed me to feel BU was really listening to me about my choice for a career path and encouraging me to follow whichever I choose. Nothing has been too much trouble with my lecturing team at setting up visits to offices, getting in touch with employers and helping me make connections so I feel more than ready and prepared for life after university.

Looking ahead, I feel as though BU has taken a great deal of pressure off my graduate job search. I strongly urge any students to make the most of any opportunities presented to them, and do not be afraid to ask your lecturing team if they can put you in touch with future employers or guest speakers to chat to, to further your knowledge and expertise in your area.