This is a guest blog written by Chris Jefford, a current BSc (Hons) Environmental Science with Foundation Year student.

My Journey to university really started after I was discharged from the Royal Navy after 12 years of service. I wasn’t sure what to do with my life, but I knew I had to return to education and study for a new career. I had concerns about the fact I left school at 16 with dyslexia and had not undertaken any academic studies since. I researched a few universities and decided on BU, this was mainly because I’m a Dorset lad and it was local to my family, also the feedback from previous students and the excellent reputation of the BU Faculty of Science & Technology was fundamental in my decision. BU also takes into account your own previous experiences and vocational qualifications which was a game changer for me as it will be for many other veterans and service personnel.

I applied to BU through Clearing, which was straightforward, stress free and I was accepted onto BSc (Hons) Environmental Science with Foundation Year. I chose to do the Foundation Year as I had no A-levels and it was an excellent way to improve my confidence with academic studying. I remained focused and determined and passed the Foundation Year with distinction.

When I first started as a BU student, I was nervous and concerned about how the experience would affect my PTSD. These concerns were unfounded and when I needed support for my PTSD, it was instant with follow up support and advice 24/7. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone, especially service leavers and veterans, to call and speak to the amazing, helpful and supportive staff who will help and guide you through the process of Clearing. BU has proven to me, if you have the right mindset anything is possible. Studying at BU over the past year has been challenging with the pandemic, however, even with all the lectures and seminars being conducted online within government guidance, the content and support was faultless.

Bournemouth has one of the longest beaches in the world and is only a short trip away from the Jurassic Coast and the New Forest National Park. So whatever your interests or hobbies, Bournemouth has something for you even if it’s just a nice place to unwind and relax after a hectic day. If you are thinking of coming to BU then I would say contact the Future Students Enquiry Team to find out more and discuss the right course and route to a degree for you. Unleash your ambitions and aspirations as you won’t be disappointed about partaking on this great new adventure here in Dorset.