This is a guest blog by April Dyer, who is studying BSc (Hons) Nutrition.

Hello, I am April and I am a final year Nutrition student and I have lived in Bournemouth all my life. Although Bournemouth University was an obvious choice for me as it was local, I looked at many universities. In the end the excellent facilities, courses and teaching staff lead me back to BU and I knew it was the university for me.

If I had moved away, I would have struggled to leave behind Bournemouth and all the fantastic places it has to offer.

One of my favourite places to go is the beach to walk the dogs, there are many beaches in Bournemouth with a variety of restaurants and cafes close by. I love to enjoy a hot chocolate in the colder months and a cocktail in the summer. The beaches are award winning and have been named the best in the UK.

In Bournemouth town centre there are many places that can be easily reached on foot. There is Bournemouth square which regularly hosts events such as markets, live music and other entertainment. There is a huge variety of shops, restaurants, bars and a new cinema complex close by.

On the approach to the beach you can walk through the Lower Gardens. When the sun is out, take a blanket and enjoy a picnic, read a book or play some mini golf. Then you can walk along the pier, admire the view and play in the amusements. At Christmas you can visit Christmas Tree Wonderland, where the gardens are filled with spectacular lights to walk through and it really is magical. At Christmas there is also a market hosted in the square filled with lots of stalls selling food, gifts and treats. The outdoor bar is open to get a drink and meet with friends.

There is a buzzing night life in Bournemouth with lots of restaurants, bars and night clubs. The Students’ Union club ‘The Old Fire Station” is a few minutes walk away from most of the student accommodation in Lansdowne. The club hosts a range of events and is a great place to get to know new people.

For any university student transport can sometimes be an issue. Bournemouth is convenient to reach via car, train or bus and once at university the bus service is excellent to travel between the campus, accommodation and all other local facilities.

You can hop on a bus and visit many places Dorset has to offer. Whether you choose to visit Weymouth for the beach, shopping and fantastic fish and chips, Poole to visit the harbour, Brownsea Island and parks, or Swanage to see the iconic railway, Corfe Castle or a boat trip around the Jurassic Coast.

There are many places in Bournemouth you must visit while studying here, write a bucket list and go with friends. Whether it is a rainy or summers day there is plenty to do to keep you busy.