Bruna Tolomeli (Brazil)

I am Bruna Tolomeli from Brazil studying the MA Post Production Editing. One of my main concerns before coming to Bournemouth was how to eat healthy and socialize with my friends while on a budget. Thankfully, it is not as hard as it seems!

Keeping track of your money

During my first month in Bournemouth I was very strict with my budgeting. I would take notes every time I bought something to better understand how much I would be spending per month. This rigidity helped me organize my financial life.

I strongly recommend some discipline upon arrival. Always carry a little notebook with you to write down expenses such as grocery shopping, going out, and eating out. It is a good idea to separate them into different categories, so you can understand which one of them you are more likely to overspend.

Keep an eye out for discounts

There are quite a few student discounts to take advantage of. There is the NUS student card for instance, which gives students discounts in restaurants and stores. Supermarkets, like Waitrose, Sainsbury and Tesco usually also have their own loyalty card. Also, with the BU student card, there are quite a few stores which give discounts, such as Accessorize.

If you fancy a movie night out, you should choose to go on the days in which they have a discount rather than going on the weekends. Pubs also tend to give you good deals early evenings, such as two drinks for the price of one.

Part-time work opportunities

If you believe your budget is not enough to pay for your living expenses, there is always the possibility of finding a part-time job. Bournemouth University offers job opportunities within the university, such as being a Student Ambassador. It is a fantastic opportunity to engage deeply with the university environment, get to know different people, and possibly supplement your curriculum. Part-time jobs are also available in restaurants, stores and coffee shops – even inside campus – which can be easier for those studying at BU.

Keeping yourself balanced

It can be a bit scary to face budgeting issues, but if you plan it properly, you will be prepared to face anything that comes your way. Make sure to always put your health and wellbeing first so you can focus on your studies. Remember to allow yourself opportunities to socialize with your friends and set aside time for relaxation. It does not matter if you study and work at the same time, or if you need to just focus on saving money. What matters is that you are happy during the process and that you have fun doing it.

By Bruna Tolomeli, Brazil, MA Post Production Editing