Produced by Chris Bowditch
BA (Hons) Marketing Communications
So, you’ve been accepted to come to Bournemouth University! Once you have arranged your accommodation you now have the joyful task of shopping, more shopping and ultimately the dreaded challenge of packing all of your stuff. The best way to prepare has got to be a good old fashioned list – take some inspiration from other students and the internet.
- Mum knows best – Parents have both good and bad ideas but remember they know all about kitting out a home. My mum was convinced that I should take a sewing kit, so I begrudgingly took it, but it came in very handy when I needed to replace a button before a presentation!
- The perfect icebreaker – Try and find your future housemates online using social networking and get chatting about who is bringing what (and if they are willing to share). No flat needs seven toasters – make one of your first flat outings a trip to Wilko to pick up a new toaster between you!
- Stand out from the crowd – Either label all of your property or buy things with standout features (specifically for the kitchen); it makes claiming your stuff at the end of the year much, much easier.
- Extreme couponing – Scour the papers, sign up for NUS and unidays and reap in the benefits! Now that you are a student, every penny counts!
Things to bring
- Smartphone and/or laptop, don’t forget chargers!
- Kitchen set (cutlery, plates, cups, mugs etc.)
- Bedroom set (sheets, pillowcases, definitely a blanket for when freshers’ flu kicks in!)
- Bathroom set (towels of all sizes)
- Toiletries (a couple of extra toilet rolls will save you one day!)
- THE CORRECT PAPERWORK (details will be in your acceptance letter)
By Chris Bowditch