Shreya Produced by

2nd year

BSc (Hons) Forensic Investigation

Settling into university life

Starting university, you quickly realise that it forces a level of independence and responsibility, which can be a massive change from home and for some students, a newfound sense of freedom.

It is easy to get carried away with the late nights and lie-ins. I found that by the first few months, sleeping-in most days meant that I had missed making the most of Bournemouth.

I cannot stress how much I think I would have benefitted, had I gotten into better habits earlier on. Students underestimate sleep, healthy eating and exercise. But soon you realise that you feel better with them organised in your daily routine.

Blue and orange sunset at sandy Bournemouth Beach

Bournemouth Beach at sunset

Looking back at first year, I wonder how I survived, balancing such an irregular sleep pattern of late nights with early morning lectures, hangovers and lack of exercise. As I can see comparatively, how much it has benefitted me mentally and physically this year.

The social side

Most people coming to university are starting fresh and know no one. When moving into halls and starting your course, you must step out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself to people as you are all in the same situation. Soon enough, introductions and talking to new people gets easier and feels more natural. Oftentimes, the other person will be shy and grateful that you started the conversation first.

Members of Bournemouth University Climbing Club, Student Union Bournemouth University

My closest friends that I have met through Climbing Club

Sitting at the top of a bouldering wall at Bournemouth Climbing Club at The Project Climbing Centre in Poole

Climbing Club has boosted my confidence, both climbing and socially.

The same goes for clubs and societies. This is a great way to meet people or beginners with similar interests.

Bournemouth University offers a massive range of societies, starting at only a few pounds to join. You can find out more about clubs and societies here.

Reflecting on first year, I wish I had committed myself to societies, as this year I joined Climbing Club.

I have now made some amazing friends and feel proud of my progress in rock climbing and have grown in confidence.

The academic side

I loved most of my first year units. I found three of them difficult. However, I accepted them as a challenge and looking back now, it made me a better learner and set me up well for second year.

I would encourage new students to dedicate a few hours a week for unit revision, as it is a small amount of time to ask for the great improvement you will see in your end of unit results. I say this from experience as I excelled in the units that I dedicated more time to. It will also make long-term recall easier for the duration of your course.

In addition, remember that you will not be familiar with all of the topics you learn. University does this to teach students a broad range of units within the course to help make sure that they are well-rounded for their future careers. Accept it as a healthy challenge.