Linh Trinh Produced by
from Vietnam

MA Marketing Communications

Being away from home for the first time could be overwhelming for many students. Like many other international students, I want my time studying abroad to be memorable, yet it still took me a while to adapt to a new environment in the UK. I am always grateful for the support that I have received from Bournemouth University both pre and during my journey.

A warm welcome on Orientation Day

Every year, Bournemouth University organises an Orientation Day for international students to help us know about the available support and facilities at the university. Students can either join online or offline and still receive helpful information. From support for study skills, IT, languages, dealing with culture shock, cooking on a budget, and finding a part-time job in Bournemouth, international students are warmly welcomed from the very first days of their journey.

Meet and connect with people at Global Café

Sometimes the language and culture barrier could make international students find it challenging to get used to their new life in the UK. If you are looking for places to meet other international students, Global Café offers a great start. Global Café is a weekly get-together for international students to meet others and play games and quizzes. The event is run by Sue Burt – Bournemouth University’s International Chaplain, at the Faith & Reflection Centre in Talbot House, Talbot Campus. Whether you are a new or current international student, there is always space for you to meet and connect with people.

Beyond a university

One of the things I have felt since I started studying at Bournemouth University is the sense of belonging. Whenever I need support, whenever I need to be heard, I always know where to go. It takes time to connect with a new place, new people. However, knowing that there is always someone who will be there for you and accompany you during your journey will make it memorable.

Student well-being is at the heart of the university’s effort to support all students. No matter your background, no matter where you are from, you are always welcomed and respected while studying at BU. There are also many communities and activities where you can find people with similar values and interests. For me, that is how the university has created a safe and supportive environment for students coming from ethnic minority backgrounds like me to grow and engage while studying in the UK.

BU became a member of the Race Equality Charter in 2016 with its commitment to creating and sustaining a positive and satisfying work and study environment for all students, staff, and visitors. From 7 to 13 February, many organisations and individuals in the UK will stay together and address the barriers to race equality during Race Equality Week. I want to take this occasion to reflect on my journey at BU and send my sincere thanks to all the lecturers, staff, friends, and even strangers at BU who help erase all the barriers and make this place become my second home.