Megan Produced by

BA (Hons) English

When it comes to finding the perfect course for you, it can be very daunting. However, it doesn’t have to be, as I’m here to give you an insight into the English course at BU, and whether it’s right for you!

Before I started university, I was unsure on what career path I wanted to take, however English has always been a subject that I have been interested in. Being able to explore other people’s narratives and showing a flare for creativity has always appealed to me. When deciding on what course I should take, I found that the English course at Bournemouth University stood out against the rest!

The English course is modern, diverse and creative, as it offers a range of traditional literature intertwined with journalism/media studies. This particularly appealed to me as I was concerned about doing a purely literature-based course.

Units

The units are very engaging and allow students to learn a range of skills. I can critically analyse approaches to literature, but also explore the latest digital narratives, delve into creative writing, and examine the world of media. Alongside creating my own blogs, book covers, magazine articles and much more (all of which are very interesting!). Additionally, students can learn a variety of software depending on the assignment such as:  Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I like how the course allows me to learn an array of skills, which can help me after university by increasing my employability!

Assessment

The course is assessed by essays, exams, presentations and coursework. It enables students to practice different methods of assessment, which can ultimately help them figure out which assessment method’s work best for them! I found this really helpful, as in third year you get to pick your unit options, and I opted for the units that were coursework-based as I found they were easier for me!

Resources

There’s no hiding the fact that taking an English course means there is a lot of reading, however, the library will inevitably become your best friend! BU has an amazing range of books and resources to help you get through uni; there will often be copies available for the current books you’re studying in class. The course also has a great support system, as lecturers are always happy to help if you have any enquiries or concerns.

Additionally, the course also offers exciting projects for students to be a part of, such as the New Media Writing Prize, which is a competition that students can enter to showcase their work!

Is English for you?

I hope this has given you a little bit of help in deciding whether English is right for you. I am now in the final months of finishing my third year, as my uni journey comes to an end. The course has provided me with a platform to learn many different skills and ultimately figure out what I would like to do after, which is digital marketing. English at BU has been an unforgettable experience that I have thoroughly enjoyed, and I couldn’t recommend it more!