from England

2014/15

MSc Public Health

Welcome to Bournemouth, and what a location it is!  If you’re new to the area, I hope you’ve started to enjoy the beautiful beaches, parks and everything else Bournemouth has to offer.  If you haven’t visited us yet, then there’s lots to look forward to! While Bournemouth is a great place to be, we also have a wealth of other places at our fingertips that make for great day trips or weekends away.  This is my little guide to a few of my favourite spots throughout Bournemouth, Dorset and beyond.

Bournemouth

Bournemouth beach – the classic hot spot!  If you’re not a fan of all the crowds in the summer, it’s a great place for a stroll during the colder months.

Slade’s Farm Open Space – admittedly I’m biased towards this place because it’s the home of the Bournemouth Cycling Centre (find out about free track cycling for students here).  That said, this place has got something for everyone: a large dog walking area, woodland, walking paths, a skate park and a café.  And all just a stone’s throw away from Talbot Campus!  I was lucky enough to catch this glorious sunset there on a recent visit.

Slade's

Dorset

Beaches – Bournemouth is great, but there are loads of other beaches around too, including the famous Sandbanks.  Why not take a stroll there from Bournemouth Pier?  It’s about 3.5 miles.  From Sandbanks you can catch a ferry to Brownsea Island or across to Studland beach (this is part of the mainland but it’s quicker to hop across the harbour on the water than to drive).

Dorset

Portland – a great climbing location.

Portland

Corfe Castle – a lovely little village where you can have a walk, visit the ruined castle and maybe buy a gift or two in the art gallery or National Trust Shop.

Corfe 2

Arne – my personal favourite. A wonderful walking spot that has it all: woodland, greenery, sea views and heaps of wildlife.

New-Forest

Beyond

Bath – a beautiful city that’s close enough to visit for the day and lovely enough that you can happily spend a whole weekend there.  Why not check out the Christmas Market?  It gets super busy, but is a great way to get into the festive spirit and find some great Christmas gifts.

Bath

Exeter – ok, so again I’m biased here as this is where I studied for my undergrad.  But I liked it so much I still go back to visit as often as I can.  If you like smaller cities that aren’t too busy, this is a great one.  It also has some lovely scenery around the cathedral and the quay.  If you go, be sure to check out The Old Firehouse and its late night pizza!

Exeter

Southampton – the best shopping location around!

London – England’s capital is only a couple of hours away by train, so why not make the most of it?  During my last visit I went to Greenwich Park and saw Memphis the musical!

London Memphis

By Lauren Bishop