For most students, the concept of applying for a job placement can be terrifying. Endless job descriptions, applications and interviews can be daunting at first, but the result is certainly worth it.

coaching pic afc 2

Having a placement year is one of the main reasons I chose to study at BU. Too many jobs nowadays require applicants to have previous experience; problematic when you need to gain experience first. For me, I felt it was important to gain experience in the industry I wanted to enter into once I had completed my degree: football coaching and development.

I was extremely fortunate to have landed my placement with AFC Bournemouth Community Sports Trust. At the time I applied, AFC Bournemouth was on the brink of getting promoted into the Premier League. Imagine my excitement when they had achieved promotion and I was to be a part of that!

coaching picture afc.html

Since I started my placement in September, it has been a whirlwind of excitement and opportunities. Despite having only completed three months of my placement so far, I can certainly say that I have learned and experienced so much already. As Project Lead on both the Premier League School Sports programme and the Female Football Development programme, I have to juggle many responsibilities. Both projects involve me planning, organising and delivering numerous coaching sessions and events to a range of abilities and ages for both boys and girls. Additionally, it is my responsibility to network with local schools, clubs and organisations to facilitate sessions and ensure that everything is running smoothly and to a high standard.

coaching picture afc and verwood

A huge highlight for me has been to work with some of the local girls’ clubs in Bournemouth, to deliver sessions, and in return for their hard work provide them with tickets for an AFC Bournemouth match. Luckily for me I get to go along with them!

afc vs stoke verwood town girls.html

My placement has provided me with an insight into the path I want to take when I graduate. Although I went into this placement with the inclination of being a football coach, it has allowed me to further refine what type of coach I want to be and the target age group; something that I wouldn’t have discovered otherwise.

I am only half way through my placement and have already discovered invaluable attributes about myself and my career pathway in such a short space of time. I’m very excited to see where the next 4 months will take me!

For those students on their journey towards finding a placement, I believe it is important to choose a placement that you are passionate about. Although the application process may seem like a drag, it is definitely worth it. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself to help sculpt you into the person you want to be when you graduate.

By Chloe Tape

Chloe studies BSc (Hons) Sports Psychology & Coaching Sciences