BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing

I remember the day I received my letter in the post from Bournemouth University offering me an interview to study my chosen course. I felt both excited and scared at the same time, excited that I’d been offered an interview and I was one step closer to my dream course, and scared about what the interview would entail, what I needed to do, and how to prepare.

If you are offered an interview, the university is likely to tell you if there is any preparation you need to do for the interview, which in my case was gaining an understanding of the NHS 6 Cs. I can say I am glad I did the research before the interview, because it was a main topic of conversation!

It is completely understandable and normal to feel a bit scared about being offered an interview, because it becomes real that you could be about to get a place on the course of your choice. I woke up at 5am on the day of my interview so I wouldn’t be late and had time to get ready, teamed with the fact I had never been to Bournemouth before and didn’t know how to get to the university! I was so grateful that my parents went with me for the day and met me after my interview.

The interview itself was my favourite of the three universities I applied to. I was taken to a room in Bournemouth House where there were around 20 other people, all looking as apprehensive as myself, sat waiting to find out more. The lay out of the day was that we were given an overview of the course by an adult nursing lecturer, and we were split into groups to do a group interview, and the day ended with an individual interview.

The group interview seemed daunting because we all had to work together to discuss a clip of care we were shown, I was worried that I may not get the chance to put my point across but I was very lucky and my group gave one another time to make their own points, as well as supporting one another if we could not finish our point. The group interview helped me with my nerves, because I didn’t feel intimidated or that the interviewers watching us were judgemental.

The individual interview was with the same lecturers who were present for the group interview, so it was a relief because I had already met both the university staff who took my interview. The interview did not seem too formal and instead it made me feel comfortable and I felt happy when I left the university and the interview had finished.

Interviews will be different for all different subjects, but they are well worth it because it helps you to get an idea of how the university runs, what the course is about, and in the interview there is also the opportunity to ask any questions you may have, which I thought was very helpful to be able to do face to face.

So if you do find you receive an offer for an interview to study at Bournemouth University, don’t fear! Once you’re there all your worries will disappear and the opportunity will help you decide whether Bournemouth is the place for you or not.

And finally, for all of you who have been offered interviews, GOOD LUCK!

By Beth Cordon