Produced by

So you have made it, you are in, you are starting your course at BU (good choice!) and then you have an issue – where do you go for support? Who can help and what’s available?

The great thing about BU is that if you need help with anything it’s available and it’s free! I remember writing that first essay and thinking ‘How on earth do I do this?’ – That’s where academic skills can help. You can book one to one help on anything from essay planning and referencing to researching online and using the library. Where you have friends with the same concerns you can book a group session and ask the facilitator to help you break down an assignment, give ideas on approaching a project or for some guidance about plagiarism and how to avoid it!

There are so many things which make starting university difficult, like dealing with your finances, really knowing how to get all the student finance you are entitled to (I nearly missed out on a grant!) and so much more. Advisers are on both Talbot Campus (The Base, Poole House) and Lansdowne Campus (Library, Bournemouth House). They not only offer a drop-in option with advisers who have been there and done it already (always helpful) but also an email reply service. So if you are in a blind panic about something at 2am you can email it off and get a reply within a day or two about how you can get something sorted out.

Also, and it does happen, sometimes we feel a bit lost and not sure of how to get out there and meet those wonderful new friends (who will be friends for life – just you wait and see!). AskBU can show you all the societies that are available, help you get involved with volunteering, join the Harry Potter Club, play in the band – you name it they can help you!

So if you are worried – please don’t be. Starting this amazing journey at any age (I was 36) is daunting and also very exciting – help is at hand and support is there when you need it.

So now that’s all sorted, all you need to do is look forward to making the most of your time at BU – phew!!

Written by Michelle Lillywhite

4 Responses to “Where do I go for advice and support?”

  1. Marc Shotter


    I hold a BA in English (2:1), but only two grade C A-levels. If I was applying as a mature student looking to take another degree course would I need to study additional A-levels to meet the UCAS tariff or would my BA be taken into account?


  2. Anthony baugh

    I’m looking to become a mature student, and change my carrier. I’m not sure where to start. I need some good advice!

    • jkwatkins

      Hello Anthony. Please give our Future Students team a call on +44 (0)1202 961916 and they’ll be more than happy to have a chat with you!


Leave a reply

Your details
  • (Your email address will not be published in your comment)