SophieBaileyI’ve always been interested in the hospitality industry, particularly in the hotel and restaurant side of things. I didn’t want to do anything purely academic, so the course at Bournemouth seemed just the right fit for me; a good balance of theory and hands on practical stuff with a placement year at the end. I really enjoyed my time there and graduated in 2005. When I graduated my priority was getting a job straight away, for financial reasons, and I didn’t find it too difficult. I started in hospitality recruitment with a view to researching different companies and deciding where to start my career, but I soon realised recruitment was exactly the right job for me.

Ten years on and I’m still with the same company so it must have been a good decision. I found my degree to be a real asset because it gave me such an understanding of the industry at every level.

I really enjoy the variety of my role at Leisurejobs.com. I’ve just returned to the company after having my second child and I’m now managing all the accounts I’ve built up over the last six years with our online division. As an account manager most of my time is spent liaising with clients about their recruitment campaigns, establishing their current recruitment needs and advising them how best to use advertising products to push their job vacancies. Leisurejobs is a very fast paced company, proactive and reactive, and it’s one where your opinion really counts. I love working with such a great bunch of people and hearing success stories from clients – we really are helping people find jobs and helping companies fill vacancies – that’s very satisfying.

There are so many opportunities out there now for people who are just graduating. It helps a lot if you research the industry you want to work in so you can be well prepared for your job interviews. I’d definitely advise people not to shy away from entry level positions. If you’re prepared to get stuck in from the beginning you’ll find your qualification will be a great help as you work your way up. This is a fantastic industry to work in and your time at Bournemouth will give you a great head start.

By Sophie Bailey, BA (Hons) International Hospitality Management graduate