Katy Produced by
from United Kingdom

Master by Research

Admitting that you are struggling and may need some advice, or just a chance to vent is not as easy as it sounds. As a university student, it’s difficult to actually stop and realise that you are finding things difficult.

The multitude of student support services available at BU have helped me through some personal and academic obstacles throughout my time here, and I’m grateful they were there when I needed them.

Sir Michael Cobham Library

Sir Michael Cobham Library: Additional Learning Support

From my experiences in college during A-levels, I knew I would need extra support when it came to exams during my undergraduate degree.

Fortunately, when applying to BU, I was able to provide the same evidence from my college days to the Additional Learning Support (ALS) team and receive the same adjustments for my undergraduate exams.

This was such a huge relief for me as transitioning to university is difficult enough, but now I also had further support in place for my exams.

In my first year, my favourite thing about the Freshers Fair was the marquee set up by the Faith & Reflection team. They were the most bubbly and heart-warming group of ladies I had ever met, welcoming new and returning students with free herbal tea, good food, arts and crafts, and a yoga session. Even though I am not part of any faith or religion, they still welcomed me with open arms, a friendly ear and a mug of tea, which in tough times was all I needed.

A person's hand holding a takeaway reusable Starbucks cup in the Herbal tea at the Faith and Reflection tent (Freshers Fair)

Herbal tea at the Faith & Reflection tent (Freshers Fair)

My second year proved a little tougher than first year; I started to develop terrible chronic wrist pain from excessive phone/computer use. So I panicked (of course), thinking it was carpal tunnel syndrome or something, and decided to see a doctor about it.

Luckily, I was already registered with the BU Medical Centre on Talbot Campus and arranged an appointment for a couple days later. The doctor I saw was patient and gave me detailed advice on how to cope with the pain and ways to lessen it. Since then, the pain has vanished and hasn’t come back, thanks to his support and guidance.

Talbot House: Faith & Reflection, the Medical Centre and Student Wellbeing

My third and final year was definitely the year I struggled to cope, as my workload reached critical. I had already experienced low mood, anxiety and mild depression in the past, so I was glad that BU had a service I could contact.

I called the Student Wellbeing team and received regular check-in calls which became a pleasant part of my week. One piece of advice they gave really stayed with me to this day: build a network with your family, friends, boyfriend, etc., whoever you feel comfortable talking to about negative things, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you don’t tell them, they don’t know.

Taking this advice to heart, combined with all the support I’ve received from BU’s support services, my student life became a whole lot brighter, and I hope it will for you too.