Katy Produced by
from United Kingdom

Master by Research

Hi there! I’m Katy, a postgraduate researcher in the Faculty of Science and Technology at Bournemouth University.

What is my research about?

My research aims to look into TikTok usage beyond the number of hours a day or week. TikTok needs to be more researched as psychology research needs to work on keeping up with constantly changing trends and new platforms being developed. I want to try and find out why users are motivated to use TikTok and what they use it for while comparing different user traits, such as age, gender, and personality traits.

I plan to apply my cyberpsychology undergraduate degree and this project to pursue social media research and how social media usage can impact our lives positively, negatively, or just on a day-to-day basis.

My finished undergraduate project

Why did I choose to stay at BU instead of going elsewhere?

Staying at BU for postgraduate study instead of going elsewhere after my undergraduate took serious thinking; I had to be sure that I would receive the best support and encouragement to expand my skills. Luckily, from my undergraduate experience, I always looked for support whenever I had the chance because I struggled transitioning to uni. Now I know the support and guidance BU offers, both in the psychology department and across the uni as a whole, I know exactly what kind of support I’ll receive and that it will help me.

I can’t wait to get more involved with attending conferences with the British Psychological Society and (hopefully) presenting my research to my peers and connecting with others in the cyber field for future careers or research collaborations.

Bournemouth beach at dusk

Bournemouth beach

What’s my favourite thing about staying in Bournemouth?

I have to say that my favourite parts of Bournemouth itself are the town centre, lower gardens, the pier, the beach and how close everything is within walking distance. It gives me much more motivation to go outside at least once a day, but then I’m always tempted to go shopping, so it has its perks and dangers. 😂

Words of advice for anyone considering postgraduate study at BU:

Don’t be afraid to trust your gut; when you find a place that makes you feel welcome and at home to be the best possible version of yourself, I suggest you take it. BU’s motto is “to learn is to change” and I feel that my time at BU has allowed me to learn more about myself as an individual and how I can change to pursue what makes me happy and at home.

Poole Gateway Building on Talbot Campus

Poole Gateway Building on Talbot Campus

Also, as your research is purely your own, you must be certain that you can stay motivated throughout your studies. However, don’t be scared to admit you may need support or guidance now and then from staff or fellow PGRs (Postgraduate Researchers). They’ll be in the same boat or understand your situation, so they are always there for one another in this wonderful community.