Hi! My name is Katlyn, and I am currently studying BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences with a sandwich placement at Bournemouth University!

Having applied to the University of Bath for BSc Biochemistry, I unfortunately missed my grades on results day and was put into clearing. This was at first a very overwhelming position to be in however I got straight on to the clearing page on UCAS to explore my options.

After scrolling through what felt like hundreds of courses, I discovered biological sciences at Bournemouth University and something just felt right about it, the course was diverse in the modules it offered and was customisable.  

The staff on the clearing hotlines really put my nerves at ease and were incredibly supportive and helpful. After some discussion they were able to offer me a place!  

Expectedly, halls of residence were filling up fast and I was placed on a waiting list for accommodation. The staff at the university went above and beyond keeping me updated on the current accommodation options and after a week of being on the waitlist I was offered a room at one of the halls of residence. 

I wasn’t able to attend one of the Clearing Open Days before moving to Bournemouth, however the virtual tours on the university website made me feel confident in the choice I had made! Freshers week allowed me to explore the campus before starting classes, which really helped me settle in and meet some of my course mates.  

Bournemouth beach at sunset

Bournemouth beach at sunset

Bournemouth is an amazing town, coming from a small seaside town I was nervous about being overwhelmed however, it made me feel instantly at home even though I hadn’t had the chance to visit prior to moving. The town centre offered everything for the ideal student life, from night clubs and coffee shop’s, to the beautiful beaches and surrounding areas.  

I have met some of my best friends since being at Bournemouth University both on my course and in my halls of residence and been given incredible opportunities, being able to go on a placement year was something that wasn’t offered at my first-choice university, and I have since been given the opportunity to go on an international field trip in Europe during my second year of study!  

A year on from my clearing experience I truly can’t imagine myself living and studying anywhere else.