Produced by Guest blogger
Every now and then we ask our advisers in the Future Students Enquiry Team to share their top tips on key topics. Here’s their latest one covering student finance for postgraduate taught study for 2023/24 entry.
What financial help can I get?
- A Postgraduate Loan (to cover tuition and maintenance costs) is available to eligible students under the age of 60 who are UK nationals or Irish citizens or have settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and are studying a taught postgraduate degree. This needs to be repaid.
- Your employer – If you are currently in full-time employment, and the course you want to study will improve your knowledge of the field you work in, your employer may be happy to cover all or part of the cost of your course.
- Students from Scotland or Northern Ireland – Students from Scotland can apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland for a loan to help cover their tuition fees. Students from Northern Ireland can apply to the Department of Education and Learning for a postgraduate award.
- Disabled Students’ Allowances – If you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, you can receive further financial assistance in addition to the funding you have already received. This is provided by the UK government and is only available to UK students.
Is there any other funding available?
- Bursaries and grants from charities, foundations and trusts – Many charities, foundations and trusts offer bursaries or grants to fund part or all of postgraduate study within their specialism. BU subscribes to a funding database specifically for those looking for funding to support postgraduate studies, called The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online.
- External Bursaries – available to postgraduate students, including the Postgrad.com study bursaries, where each bursary is worth £500 and students from anywhere in the world can apply via the postgrad.com website.
What scholarships do you offer?
We offer non-repayable scholarships to postgraduate students who meet certain eligibility criteria.
What tuition fee reductions do you have on offer?
You may be eligible for one of the following fee discounts for new students joining us in January 2023, September 2023 or January 2024:
- BU Graduate Discount (20%)
- Student Family Discount (10%)
- Staff and Staff Family Discount (up to 25%)
Check out the eligibility criteria for the tuition fee reductions on our website.
I have a dual nationality; will I pay home or overseas tuition fees?
The amount of postgraduate tuition fees you will need to pay, and any financial support you are eligible for, will depend on whether you are classified as a home or overseas student, otherwise known as your fee status. We decide your fee status based on UK Government guidelines using the information you give us. We will let you know your fee status in your offer letter if we can, but we might need to ask additional questions.
Understanding your tuition fee status.
If you have any more queries, please contact our Future Students Enquiry Team who are happy to help answer your questions!