This is a guest blog post by current student Nyibol Deng, studying BA (Hons) Politics and Economics. 

Yes, we exist. I’m proud to be able to say I’m one of the “guinea pigs”, as my year were the first cohort to have the privilege of experiencing this course at BU. Though small, our course is full of character and debate, and due to the crossover between faculties – Media and Communication (Politics) and Management (Economics) – this course enables us to branch out into many different avenues. Digital Politics… Political Psychology… Econometrics… there’s something for everybody.

We all know that uni isn’t just about the books. It’s about balance, and once you find it, you might just crack the code to the best three to four years of your life thus far. I’m going into my final year now and let me tell you, it has been a rollercoaster (in a good way, don’t panic!). When I came into my first year of study, I had no idea what to expect from Bournemouth Uni but I quickly learnt that I was to be spoilt for choice all year round in terms of extracurriculars, facilities (on and off campus), support systems etc. There’s always something to do!

Daytime routine

So, I know I said uni isn’t just about the books, but we do have to pay them some attention. In first and second year, my timetable always had at least one day off (typically a Wednesday, since most of the sports activities occur on that day), although it had also been a Friday at one point too. But whether it was a mid-week break or the start to an early weekend, I was appreciative of that vacancy in the timetable.

On the days that I did have lectures and/or seminars, the typical work day wasn’t particularly overbearing; probably averaged about 2-3 contact hours per day (give or take), sometimes with gaps in between classes. (Tip: for those early starts or cold winter days, buy the £1 reusable Starbucks cup on sale on campus! It makes the price of the drink cheaper, plus you’d be doing your bit for the environment.)

Right. This is where I need you to listen, and listen intently: Dylan’s. Yes, our on-campus (Talbot Campus) restaurant/bar. I guarantee you that’s where you’ll spend a lot of your breaks in between lectures, be it to grab (CHEAP!) food, or simply to enjoy the vibe. Food and drink prices are very friendly to the student wallet and Dylan’s also hosts a range of events throughout the week, including open mics and quiz nights. Alternatively, the Fusion Building or the Student Shop also have food on sale in case (for some odd reason) Dylan’s doesn’t quite tickle your fancy.

I like a building with versatility, so when I first saw Fusion, it spoke to me. Doubling up as an educational space (with lecture theatres, a computer lab and seminar rooms), you can’t really go wrong with studying in that building. Though the library is there, my preference is to find an empty seminar room and get on with work alone there – almost so as to convince myself that it’s “not really work”. There are also 24-hour Open Access Centres on both the Talbot and Lansdowne Campuses, for you night owls or last-minute folk.

As for everything else…

When you’ve clocked out of uni for the day, you’re probably going to want to think about anything else besides studying. Remember those extracurriculars I mentioned earlier? That’s where those come into play. Just because you’re a Politics and Economics student, doesn’t mean you’re restricted to just Politics Society (although I would highly recommend; they’re always organising trips and media-based events). SUBU boasts an array of clubs and societies, so I urge you to get involved! I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of both the African-Caribbean Society (ACS) this year, as well as a Hip Hop Dance Society too.

Of course, it wouldn’t be a university experience if there wasn’t a buzzing nightlife. With something going on almost every night in Bournemouth, it won’t be long before you’re being (very easily) persuaded to accompany a group of friends to that night’s event. But hey, who can say no to the Old Fire Station or Cameo when it’s right there on your door step? (COVID-19 situation permitting obviously!)

Although remember, this is uni, so the possibility of you having a 9am the following morning – unfortunately – isn’t impossible. But that’s okay; we students are superhuman. And remember that £1 reusable cup I told you about? It’ll become your best friend. There’s nothing like a hot drink to give you a kick up the backside in the morning.

So, I hope that’s given you some insight into the day in the life of a (in my case) BA (Hons) Politics and Economics student at BU. The most important piece of advice I can give you, honestly, is just to breathe. Even if we’re on different courses, we’re all going through it together. Cherish uni life and get involved as much as you can, because once it’s over – and it almost is for me – I’m sure we’ll all miss it… just a tad.

Nyibol Deng
BA (Hons) Politics and Economics