Produced by Ashleigh
BSc (Hons) Geography
If your UCAS event was cancelled, then no worries, I’ve answered the questions we get asked the most at these events.
- Where is Bournemouth and what is there to do?
Bournemouth is a seaside town located along the English south coast with Poole to its west, Christchurch to the east, and roughly only a 45-minute drive away from Southampton. Whatever you are looking for, I can guarantee there is something for you happening here! Bournemouth offers a variety of different things throughout the year that will make your uni home-from-home so much more than just your degree. From Summer Live in the town centre during July and August offering daily live music, outdoor bars and BBQ’s to the Christmas Tree Wonderland and ice rink in the Lower Gardens during the festive period, Bournemouth goes big on getting everyone involved.
- What makes Bournemouth University special?
With 120 current undergraduate courses to choose from and more in the pipelines, Bournemouth University is sure to have something unique to offer you, whatever your subject interest. If the seven-mile stretch of beautiful golden beach doesn’t cut it for you… Bournemouth and its surrounding area have lots to offer; the New Forest National Park and the Jurassic Coast to name but a couple.
- What are the entry requirements?
Each of our courses have their own specific entry requirements, so please head on over to our course pages to view the entry requirements relevant to you. Entry requirements at Bournemouth University operate primarily in UCAS points, so if you need to convert between A Levels or BTEC qualifications, you can do using our UCAS Tariff table. Besides this, among some courses there are also extra specific requirements such as expected experience. Whatever your subject interest, relevant experience is always an amazing thing to have on applications, especially to write about in your personal statement, and for some courses – talk about during interview.
- Which Psychology, Sociology, and Forensic degrees do you offer?
We offer a variety of Psychology, Forensic and Sociology degrees. I have listed some here, however please do visit our course pages to explore more about specific courses.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling
- BSc (Hons) Cyberpsychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology with Forensic Investigation
- BA (Hons) Criminology with Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Investigation
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Science
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Biology
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Computing and Security
- BSc (Hons) Archaeological, Anthropological and Forensic Science
- BA (Hons) Sociology
- BA (Hons) Sociology with Politics
- BA (Hons) Sociology and Social Anthropology
- BA (Hons) Sociology and Criminology
- What types of accommodation do you offer?
We offer a variety of accommodation at Bournemouth University. Where you choose to live will depend on your level and period of study, and whether or not your degree involves a placement in healthcare which may mean you choose to locate closer to your placement. More on this can be found here.
- The majority of our first-year accommodation is located in Lansdowne. These options are all en-suite rooms and are popular choices for first years as they are close to town centre and the beach.
- Student Village is our on-campus accommodation option, making those 9am lectures that much easier to get to, living just 5 minutes away.
- Another option is Unilet, which are BU managed properties, that allow students to rent a room in a similar way to how they would in halls of residence.
- When are your open days?
For a full list of all our open days, please visit our open day page here. Open days are super valuable to come to when you are choosing universities, as it allows you to get a feel for the campus and the town/city that you just can’t get from online photos and videos. It is also a great opportunity to speak to academics, attend course talks and speak to current students to find out more about your subject
- What facilities do you have?
Excellent facilities across campuses is our forté at BU, and continuous development ensures state-of-the-art workspaces for our students. For example, our two brand new buildings; Poole Gateway Building and Bournemouth Gateway Building opened this year offering new facilities for both Faculty of Media and Communication and Health and Social Sciences. Not to mention our on-campus sports centre, SportBU; home to a variety of fitness classes and modern gym space. BU also has secure storage for those wishing to cycle to uni, both on campus and at halls of residence. More information on facilities that BU currently offers such as Forensic Mock Crime Scenes, Moot Court for our Law students and Sport and Human Performance Labs.
- Do you offer study abroad?
We most certainly do! Studying abroad is an amazing opportunity at university, and there are a variety of options for studying in the EU under the Erasmus+ programme. We also offer placements and semesters of study abroad. Find out more about studying abroad here.
- What sort of scholarships do you offer?
We offer a varied range of scholarships so keep an eye out for ones you could be eligible for to make sure you apply after you have submitted your course application. Scholarships aim to recognise a range of academic, music and sport-related achievements. More on scholarships can be found here.
- What is accreditation and what do they mean?
Accreditation is an important trait to look out for when scouting out university courses. It essentially means that the specific course syllabus and teaching (whatever that course may be) has been approved by a professional organisation in the subject field. For example, Bournemouth University Business School is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), pushing Bournemouth University into one of the top institutions globally to study business degrees. You can check to see if your course is accredited on our course pages here.
Find out more
I hope this was helpful! Please do let us know if you have any more questions… you can email email@example.com or alternatively come to one of our open days!