Ashleigh Produced by

BSc (Hons) Geography

Choosing a subject to study at university can be difficult, especially as this is going to be the main thing you spend at least 80% of your time on for the next three or four years. When making this choice I personally got pretty confused as even if you have narrowed down the universities you wish to attend, within these institutions there is a high chance that there is still a wide variety of specific courses in any one subject area.

I knew that I wanted to study a subject in the field of environmental studies and earth science as this is what interested me during my A-Levels. Upon deciding to attend BU, I was met with lots of different options in this particular department. This is why I am going to break down the different courses that were available to me during my university decision-making, and why I chose to study BSc (Hons) Geography.

When I came to university, my subject interest was mainly centered around the science behind the environment, climate change, and environmental law and politics. These interests were highlighted in more than one course in the department of life and environmental sciences (LES), including in BSc (Hons) Ecology and Wildlife Conservation, BSc (Hons) Environmental Science and of course BSc (Hons) Geography.

Once I had reviewed the subject content of each course, it became clear that I also wanted the course I chose to include the human aspect of my original interests, such as the anthropological relationship with the earth and how people affect the planet. This was catered for perfectly in a first-year unit on BSc (Hons) Geography called Earth and Society, which I was pleased to see. This is just one example of how I decided on my course however, the process for finding a course that met each of my desired qualities was the same.

Since being at BU, I have been presented with many fantastic opportunities. These have included the chance to complete a unit in Costa Rica, do some of my placement work in Croatia, and be part of the Student Undergraduate Research Excellence (SURE) conference showcasing my research which is an event recognised by many employers. I personally feel this course was the best choice for me because it is far from limiting, and the career opportunities are so varied because the course encompasses teaching of a range of key employability skills.

I hope this has helped you in making that all-important decision, whether you are interested in environmental subjects like myself, or even if you are planning to go in a completely different direction. Good Luck!