Sujata Produced by
from India

MA Media and Communication

Hi! I am Sujata Shekhawat from India and I am studying MA Media and Communication. This blog will give you an idea of my experience of the course. Let’s get started!

I applied to lot of Universities in the UK to study my Master’s. It was really difficult for me to make a final choice, but when I found out that BU is known for its media excellence in the UK, I immediately locked my choice and said yes, I am going to Bournemouth!

MA Media and Communication is…

Research-orientated: There is a lot of emphasis on research in this course. The students are supposed to do two or three independent research projects during the course of the degree. The last research project is the dissertation which is an independent research piece of 10,000 words submitted at the end of the 2nd semester. A dissertation is a compulsory end project and it is not only part of all the Master’s courses but also Bachelor’s courses.

More about communication: This course is designed with a strong emphasis on communication, and there is not too much focus on media. Many of the units discuss ways of effective communication. Some examples of the units are Communication Theory, Brands and Brand Communication, Communicating Ideas and Intercultural Communication. If you have an interest in communication and you want to improve your professional communication skills then this course is for you.

Full of opportunity: The course also has an option for a 30-week placement. In my home country of India, and many other countries, this is very similar to what we would call an internship. After studying your degree for a year, you can join an organisation for almost seven months to gain real-world work experience. There are only a few Master’s courses that have this option, and thankfully MA Media and Communication is one of them, as I think this is a great opportunity.

Different from BA Media and Communication: The units and extensiveness of the course is quite different between the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. The Bachelor’s degree has both practical and theory units, whereas the Master’s degree mainly has theoretical units and only one practical unit.

If you are looking for a course which focuses more on theory and research on communication, but also touches on some aspects of media then this is the course for you. This is a general course with no specific specialisation, so it gives you a chance to think with a wider view rather than limiting yourself to a narrow field.