Martina Gardeva (Bulgaria)

My name is Martina Gardeva and I am a Bulgarian postgraduate student in MSc Tourism Management and Marketing. In my free time, I like to try new activities and experience new things. Undoubtedly, the most popular attraction in Bournemouth is the beach, but there are so many more things you can do in this lovely coastal town. Here are some ideas:

A day at the Oceanarium

This is a unique experience, from which you can learn about marine life, see penguins and find out more about the wildlife in different regions like the Amazon, Key West, the Mediterranean, and the Great Barrier Reef. The admission for students is just £9 if you buy the tickets online 2 days in advance. You will walk through large tunnels that have been turned into aquariums Avisit to the Oceanarium is a real underwater adventure you don’t want to miss!

Rock Reef Adventure Centre

One of the best ways to spend a rainy afternoon on a cold winter day is with indoor fun at the Rock Reef centre, located on Bournemouth Pier. Popular activities are rock climbing, a vertical drop slide, a ‘leap of faith’ jumping challenge, a high line high ropes aerial obstacle and the Pier Cave, which is a 65m indoor fun cave experience. If the weather is good, you should also try out the famous Zip Liner – it’s truly amazing!

For culture junkies – The Pavilion and Russell Cotes Art Gallery

Arguably the best venue for entertainment, cultural shows and spectacles in Bournemouth is the famous Pavilion, located right next to the beach. Don’t forget to buy tickets in advance for the shows and events as they sell out pretty quickly. Another option is the stunning Victorian house, the Russel Cotes Art Gallery. This impressive building is built on top of a hill and has amazing views of the seaside. It also has a wonderful garden and often hosts art exhibitions.

Games, Games, Games!

One of my favourite things to do is play games with my friends. It can be so much fun! The best options would be to try the Mini Golf in Bournemouth Lower Gardens and the old-school arcade next to the Oceanarium. You can also try out the Oasis Fun place, which offers bowling and indoor golf.  I enjoy playing pool and even though I am not very good at it, I usually play it every week with my roommates at Dylan’s Bar in Talbot campus. You can also go there for epic karaoke nights and fun Monday night pub quizzes. A similar venue is the lovely Coffee & Dice cafeteria, which offers a wide range of board games.

Whatever you choose to do, try to remember that there’s nothing better than to “work hard and play harder”! So go out there, have fun and enjoy life!

Martina Gardeva, Bulgaria, MSc Tourism Management and Marketing, 2017/18