Martina Gardeva (Bulgaria)

My name is Martina Gardeva and I am a Bulgarian postgraduate in MSc Tourism Management and Marketing. Maybe you are wondering what the culture here is like here and what the biggest stereotypes about England are. Well here is my list!

The Full English breakfast

One of the first typical English things that pop up on my mind is the huge breakfast. It consists of eggs, fried bacon, several sausages, mushrooms and beans, which quite frankly is a lot! However, it is an excellent way to start your day, full of energy and ready to conquer the world!

Football is a religion!

Everybody knows and has heard the legendary stories about the passionate English football fans and the love they have for this sport. I really enjoy watching Premier League games or Champions League with my friends and this is one of our favourite things to do at the weekends. Who doesn’t enjoy nice fish and chips with a pint of a beer in a cosy pub?

The weather is not all bad

One of the most common stereotypes about England I knew before coming here was how bad the weather is and how it is always raining. Wrong! The weather in Bournemouth is more than pleasant, with plenty of warm and even hot sunny days and excellent conditions for all range of outdoor activities and day trips.

The English village

Another popular misconception I heard about the UK was that everything here is kind of old, even medieval, very traditional and full of closed and unfriendly communities. This couldn’t be further from the truth! The old-fashioned historical towns and villages are so charming and picturesque that they are definitely worth exploring. One such example is Brockenhurst, right next to the New Forest National park, where you can see cute little houses, retro-cars and wild horses walking around freely along the streets. The locals are also very friendly and full of stories, which they are more than happy to share with you.

England is NOT all about London

Even though London is the capital and one of the most visited cities in the world, sadly a common misbelief is that there is nothing else to see in England. Let me assure you that the country is full of amazing small coastal cities like Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Poole and Brighton. There are also much larger ones, such as the trendy Bristol and the ever popular Liverpool. All of them are worth a visit! Scotland is also fantastic with its famous cultural and historical places such as Edinburgh and Glasgow.

One thing I learnt from my experience so far is that often some of the most popular stereotypes and beliefs about certain countries and places are completely wrong. This is why I advise you to listen to your heart and experience for yourself everything you can whilst you are here. This is the best way to form an opinion!

Martina Gardeva, Bulgaria, MSc Tourism Management and Marketing, 2017/18