BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism

Alice-leaving-home-ed

One of my favourite photos of my time at uni!

I remember the first day I left home for uni: the car was packed to bursting limit and I was feeling all sorts of emotions. It had never occurred to me that my leaving home would have an impact on my parents.

Saying goodbye to your dad is the easy part, so long as you still call to catch up with him every once in a while, he’ll be happy. But if your mum is anything like mine you have to be prepared for at least three phone calls a week (sometimes it was once a day with my mum) and you may even have to tell or hear the same story more than once.

Make sure you don’t forget anyone’s birthday in the family while you’re away. That way you can make sure that even if you can’t physically be there, you’ve still made the effort to call. Visiting is a great way to make sure your parents don’t miss you too much, and even if it may pain you to have them come into your new personal space, let them. Yes, you’ll have to tidy away the 1,000 pizza boxes and takeaway menus but at least they will get to see your new space and how you’re dealing with life on your own. You never know, they may even offer to buy you dinner!

I am the eldest of three, so for my mum it was having her first born flee the nest, which is actually quite a hard thing. Your parents have raised you since you were born and now you’re old enough and have grown up to the point where you are now able to fend for yourself. For your mum and dad, it’s seeing you not need them that is the hardest part. But parents, rest assured, you will still be needed long after uni has ended, there are still some things none of us will know how to do without a little help from you.

Here’s some advice from my mum to other parents: “Don’t worry too much, they’re probably having a better time than you!”

By Alice Fiancet