BU graduate Rees Hitchcock recently gave an interview to Event Magazine about his placement year. Here’s what he had to say:

Rees_Hitchcock_Frukt

During my third year at Bournemouth University I undertook a placement year. Knowing I wanted to spend it back in London and kick-start my career in the world of brands and experiences, finding a short-term intern role that could develop into a long-term job seemed the most pragmatic way to approach it.

I started where I imagined most people would: a Google search, making a list of brands and agencies that I wanted to work at and then picking up the phone and calling them. Some of those conversations proved to be more fruitful than others. I got an interview at Borkowski PR, who introduced me to their experiential agency Beatwax – they in turn offered me an intern role. This turned into a full-time post and I went on to join as a graduate after finishing university.

I was quite lucky when it came to my role and tasks. As Beatwax was a relatively small agency with big clients, I gained experience in every part of the agency, from creative brainstorms, pitch writing and presenting, budgeting, account and client management to project management and even sorting out our storage garage.

Of course, at that stage I didn’t know that planning and strategy would be the direction I’d head in, but it really did help me to get a grasp of each and every stage of responding to a brief and running an activation, and that has stood me in good stead for where I am today.

I may be a tad biased, but I will always fly the flag for interns and people looking to get started to develop their skills and knowledge.

I am now lucky enough to return and guest lecture for Bournemouth University’s events and marketing students and mentor at youth charity Spark and Mettle.

Rees Hitchcock, creative planner, Frukt

You can read the full article on the Event Magazine website, where the interview was originally published.