BSc (Hons) Psychology

A laminated list of what I’d have liked someone to tell me.

CONVENTIONAL? NONSENSICAL!

Don’t worry what your university life looks like on Facebook or Instagram. No one is going to have the perfect university experience from start to finish – I know I didn’t. When I found out I was living in Unilet in my first year I thought my life was over, but I had one of the best years ever and I made so many friends because of it!

LIKE THE PEOPLE YOU LIVE WITHLizzie-Cameo

The people you live with in first year is down to luck – it’s your choice thereafter so make sure you like your housemates! Take time to find a good house for second year, your perfect house IS out there.

BE A SOCIAL BUTTERFLY

Whether it’s in your house, in the pub, or around uni, listen and socialise. Join clubs/societies as you will find friends that you may not have otherwise – you probably won’t be BFFs with the people you met at Freshers’!

YOU AREN’T ALAN SUGAR…YETLizzie-money

Don’t spend all of your loan/grant as soon as it comes in – save where you can. A golden piece of advice I have for you is to set up another bank account with your loan in and transfer your money across when you need it – it saved me SO much!

(Work hard), PLAY HARD

Lizzie-booksIt’s only fair that I talk about work because – let’s face it – it’s the main reason you’re here. Firstly, it’s important to choose the right course for you as you will be doing it for 3+ years! A misconception is that your first year doesn’t count – it sets you up for your degree, so attend everything. Lastly, don’t think you have too much time – it may seem that way when your lecturer sets your assignment a month before the deadline, but before you know it your deadline will be next week.

OPPOR-NEW-NITIES

There are so many opportunities available to you that you probably don’t even know about! If there’s a chance for you to do something new then go for it! There will be more people than you can imagine who are there to offer advice on anything and everything so make use of it!

YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE NIGELLA…

But you do need to learn how to cook more than just pasta and pot noodles. Offer to cook meals at home as you will learn all sorts of tricks from your parents!

YOUR DEGREE DOESN’T DICTATE YOUR LIFE!

So remember to ENJOY it and don’t put too much pressure on yourself!

By Lizzie Kiely