Ruth-1Since I’ve been at BU I’ve learnt so many transferable skills. It’s amazing that in one year I have grown so much as a person and I am now confident in my career path. The decision to study Events Management has to be one of the best decisions I’ve made, the course is the perfect mix between practical skills and academic study.

In a recent module we were given real clients to work with. After visiting the venue of where our events would take place it was our job to come up with an innovative event idea that would suit the client. This involved looking at current trends, working out strengths and weaknesses of the client’s business and being creative.

This task was challenging and allowed me to test my people skills as working in a team can be tough when under pressure to come up with something new. I think that this module was really valuable, as it not only helped me to understand the importance of innovation, but it also told me a lot about my own personal strengths and weaknesses.

Events Management at BU is a degree that offers so much, I can proudly say that for a semester in my second year I will be studying abroad in Macau, China! This is down to the fabulous links the School of Tourism has with other institutions. In Macau I will be acting as an ambassador, where I will be attending the conference ‘Making Waves in Macau.’ This is a conference which aims to examine contemporary issues in festivals and events. Travelling to Macau is so exciting and I hope that when I return from my journey I’ll have gained the cultural skills needed in such a diverse industry like events.

BU has also been amazing at supporting my passion, which is to sing. The scholarship I received this year has enabled me to carry on my music lessons and even complete my advanced certificate recital. The music department really believes in the students and strongly encourages us to perform whenever possible.

Ruth-2

By Ruth Harley