BSc (Hons) Forensic Science

By Carlyle Collins

1st year BU student, BSc (Hons) Forensic Science

At secondary school I was quite an active chap, I was involved in everything. Well not everything, but I did a lot, I played multiple sports and was involved in different societies. Could I possibly manage to maintain this level of involvement and obtain good grades at this higher level of study? Only time would tell….

Bournemouth University provided the perfect opportunity for me to balance extra-curricular activities and studies. Maybe it should be the other way around? There’s loads to do here at Bournemouth University; sports, clubs, societies, volunteering and the beach- of course. When I received my Fresher’s pack before I started university, I struggled to select which club or society I wanted to be a part of.

I tried out and was selected for BU’s cricket team, so along with my lectures, there was the commitment to attend compulsory cricket training sessions. I also applied and was selected to be a Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) Ambassador. STEM ambassadors promote STEM subjects, higher education and Bournemouth University to children of primary and secondary schools. It is a great opportunity to work with children, get paid and enhance your CV. It’s a win-win-win situation!

As a student here you have the opportunity to apply for a place on the Student Development Award (SDA) programme. The SDA, awards points to its participants based on activities they are involved in and presents them with a certificate on completion of the programme (you basically get a certificate for stuff you enjoy doing, how great is that?!). This certificate can give you an added advantage when you apply for jobs after your graduation because employers will see that you are a complete package, not only brains.

How did my grades look with such a packed schedule? I finished my first year of uni with a first, so guys it can be done. Uni life is great, you get awesome opportunities; you should take and enjoy them. I am planning on joining BU’s language club next year to learn French and/or Spanish- I wonder where I’m going to find the time- wish me luck!