Ogechi Aikohi Produced by
from Nigeria

Management with Business Analytics

Little Lives UK Office, Office in Bournemouth, My Volunteering ExperienceI learned about the Little Lives UK Communications role on the CareersBU website. The career hub showcases work and volunteering opportunities available to Bournemouth University students and updates them regularly. Immediately I came across the position I knew that it was authentic and a great way to add value to my society.

Being a huge volunteering advocate, I loved the idea of selflessly contributing my quota to the cause – creating a better life for disabled and disadvantaged children in the UK. On my first day, I was met by Tom, Frank, and Christy who gave me a tour of the building and welcomed me to the team. I worked on Communications Strategy and reviewed the Little Lives UK social media accounts including their growing YouTube base in my first week. And I quickly became acquainted with the work they did and their vision.

I had the opportunity to work with a talented team that celebrated my efforts and achievements and encouraged me to gain as much value as I gave. After a few months of marketing strategy planning, I began planning a trip to the three Little Lives UK Charity shops in London with Jess who is a BA English student from BU. 

We strategized with the team and had the privilege of planning our trip itinerary and using our best strengths and skills in actualizing the plan. Jess originally lives in London and was my local tour guide… yikes. While I was more camera confident and loved telling stories through content creation and marketing techniques.

Our main aims were to photograph luxury items, understand the store dynamics, create fun & elevating content, speak to the store managers, and have marketing discussions. Jess was in charge of taking pictures of the stores and items while I took videos and created short clips. It was a mentally stimulating activity I did not take for granted.Little Lives Charity Shop, Charity Shopping, London

Before leaving, I also bought luxury charity items that were slashed because it was a charity price fee and I had a 50% discount – talk about double benefits.

It was wonderful to learn and experience so much because of the opportunities that Bournemouth University offers. I look forward to exploring more!!