Don’t forget to Follow us on Instagram for more news and international student stories!

As a recent graduate in mass communication, of course, I assumed that I knew exactly what I was getting into when it came to a master’s degree in advertising. In reality, I have never been more naive.  I used to believe that studying advertising was all about coming up with concepts to promote a company, but Bournemouth University has taught me that it is much more than that.

International student Doyin with program leader of the MA in Advertising, Rutherford

The first stage of realisation was when our lecturers made us deal with real-life copy, real brands with agencies in the field.  I then had the opportunity to witness firsthand how advertising is a unique art form and the pinnacle of creativity. Have you considered marketing tap water? Although it may sound irrational, the ability to give even the most basic objects meaning and value is actually extremely challenging.  

Since I completed my undergraduate degree in my native country, it was simple for me to relate to my classmates because we had the same cultural patterns and unsaid words. The level of variety and openness in Bournemouth University is undoubtedly one of the reasons I’m glad I pursued this degree there. For instance, my class was full of students from different countries, like Venezuela, Turkey, India, Spain, and many more. Working with people from different backgrounds all the time made the programme even more exciting. It prepared me for the harsh reality that, in order to work for multinational corporations, you have to understand those who have different cultural backgrounds to you. 

My time at BU taught me about the realities of working with and leading people in the corporate world, especially while dealing with a diverse group, as well as the importance of having strategic plans in place to ensure a seamless operation. I used to think that leading a team was something that I had mastered as the one-time press president of my undergrad university. However, my time at BU made me realise that the key is to have team members with the appropriate mindsets regardless of where they are from because this creates a positive work environment and impacts productivity.

International students of the MA in Advertising

I could go endlessly about what I thought I was prepared for and how much more I benefited from this programme. Despite the fact that the task was greater than I had anticipated, I am glad for this awakening since it is unquestionably something that money cannot purchase. I’m delighted I chose Bournemouth University as it has been a rewarding experience.