Follow us on Instagram for more news and international student stories!

David Cuellar Diaz, from Colombia, shares his experience as an international student at Bournemouth University.

As an international student pursuing an MSc in Data Science and AI at Bournemouth University in the United Kingdom, I have learnt a lot about life, culture, and education.

Coming from Colombia, it was a big leap for me to leave my home country and start a new life in a foreign land. However, my previous learning experiences, such as my bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering and various programming courses in JavaScript and Python, have helped me learn more easily and better.

Group of students at the Fusion Building sharing a meal

One of the most significant things I have learnt as an international student at Bournemouth University is the importance of making new connections. All the new people I have met can be my new best friends and great teammates. It’s crucial to have a supportive network of friends and colleagues to help you through the challenging times and celebrate the good times.

Bournemouth University is a melting pot of cultures, and I have not only learned from my master’s program, but I have also known new cultures such as USA, Brazil, Lebanon, Nigeria, India, Turkey, Kuwait, China, Germany, France, etc. Interacting with students from different backgrounds has broadened my horizons, and I have gained a new appreciation for cultural diversity.

Living in the UK as an international student has also taught me the importance of budgeting. It’s necessary to know the prices of things before arriving because many things can be very expensive. Going out, eating, and traveling are exciting, but it’s necessary to have a balance to maintain good grades. Time management and budgeting skills are critical to make the most of my university experience.

Finally, pursuing a master’s degree at Bournemouth University has been a challenging but rewarding experience. The quality of education, professors, and resources available have been excellent. The course curriculum is rigorous and demanding, and I have been able to apply my previous learning to excel in my studies. I have also been able to develop new skills in programming, data analysis, and machine learning.

In conclusion, being an international student at Bournemouth University has been a life-changing experience. I have gained a new appreciation for cultural diversity, made new connections, and developed critical skills that will be invaluable in my future career. I encourage all international students to embrace the opportunities and challenges that come with studying abroad, and to make the most of their time at university.