Produced by Manya Deora
MA Advertising student from India
Follow us on Instagram for more news and international student stories!
Bournemouth is a vibrant coastal town on the south coast of England and is home to two well-respected universities: Bournemouth University and Arts University Bournemouth. With its stunning beaches, lively atmosphere, and diverse student community, Bournemouth is an attractive choice for students seeking a quality education and a great student experience. One key factor that makes Bournemouth an excellent place for students to live and study is that it has a relatively low crime rate compared to other university towns and cities in the UK, making it a safe place for students to live and study. Its reputation for being a safe place exceeds expectations as the University and town authorities work together to provide the best possible student experience with several initiatives and services listed below.
- Student safety initiatives: The local council and universities have implemented various student safety initiatives, including student patrols, CCTV cameras, and emergency phone lines, to ensure the safety of students. The universities work closely with the local police to ensure that there is a strong presence of law enforcement in the area. Regular events on campus where the Travel & Transport Team can assist with queries as well as hand out free pedometers, umbrellas, and Personal Safety Alarms.
- Police presence: The police in Bournemouth have a strong presence in the town, particularly during the night-time hours when students may be more vulnerable. Police patrols are carried out in areas where students are likely to be, including the town centre and the university campuses. Plus they are friendly, and approachable and will go way beyond to help students in whatever way they can.
- Late-night bus services: Bournemouth has a good public transportation system, with regular bus services running throughout the day and into the evening. There are also late-night bus services that run on certain routes, making it easier for students to get home safely after a night out.
- Safe and convenient transportation: Bournemouth offers safe and convenient transportation options for students, including reliable public transportation and designated student transportation services. Free Wi-Fi is available on all Unibuses. The universities also operate their own shuttle bus services, which are free for students and run frequently throughout the day.
- Safe and convenient cycling: Bournemouth is a cycle-friendly town, with dedicated cycle lanes and safe cycling routes. This makes it easy for students to get around on two wheels, even during the night time hours. Beryl Bikes are the most preferred ones by the students. BU also offers several schemes and discounts that you can check here.
- Quality accommodation: The universities and private accommodation providers in Bournemouth offer high-quality and safe accommodation options that are well-maintained and secure. Accommodation providers have put measures in place to ensure that students are safe and comfortable in their living spaces.
- Nightlife safety: Bournemouth has a vibrant nightlife, but the local authorities and businesses have worked hard to make it a safe and enjoyable experience for students. There are strict regulations in place to ensure that venues are safe and secure, and several security measures are in place, including security patrols and ID checks.
- Mental health support: Bournemouth has a strong network of mental health services available to students, providing them with the support they need to manage any issues related to their emotional well-being. The universities work closely with local health services to ensure that students have access to the support they need, including counselling and therapy services.
- Welcoming and friendly community: The local community in Bournemouth is welcoming and friendly, making students feel safe and supported. The town is home to several community groups and organisations that welcome students and provide them with opportunities to get involved in local events and activities.
- BU Student Union Patrol: The BU student union patrol team is made up of student volunteers who patrol the streets around the university campuses. The patrol team wears bright yellow high-visibility jackets with the words “BU Patrol” printed on them. They carry radios and flashlights to help them identify potential safety issues and report them to the relevant authorities.
In conclusion, Bournemouth is a safe and welcoming place for students to live and study. With its low crime rate, excellent transport links, friendly community, and proactive student support, Bournemouth is an excellent choice for students seeking a high-quality education and a great student experience.