Jazz Produced by

1st year

BA (Hons) Marketing Communications with Digital Media

Food, food, food – who doesn’t love it? As a “foodie” myself, having lots of different options was crucial for me. Whether it’s restaurants, cafes, or fast food services, Bournemouth is full of them! Today I’m going to give you the ultimate guide to what Bournemouth has to offer… 

Image from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bournemouth_ grant_too/7638872698

So let’s start with everyone’s speedy favourite – fast food. If you are living in Lansdowne halls, you will have noticed the huge ASDA superstore a short walk away, but did you know there is actually a McDonalds in there? A short 15-minute walk will take you into Bournemouth’s town centre, where you will find ANOTHER McDonalds, Five Guys, Taco Bell, KFC, Burger King, Slim Chickens, and even a Subway! No matter what corner you turn or road you take, you’re almost guaranteed to find something that will satisfy your hunger quickly and cheaply.

Whilst it may be cheap, eating fast food all the time isn’t for everyone. For those of you that would prefer a proper sit-down meal with your friends or family, you won’t be disappointed at what Bournemouth has for you! Just around the corner from the Lansdowne halls of accommodation, you’ll find my personal favourite – Nuudle Bar. Their menu allows you to choose from a noodle or a curry dish, giving you a complete creative choice on what meat (or not meat) and type of noodles/rice you want. Now, the average main dish will cost you around £13 – £15 however, these portions are just HUGE! Whenever I visit, I tend to ask for a takeaway tub for my leftovers which leaves me with enough for another 2 – 3 meals – talk about value for money!

Another slightly cheaper option would be The Mary Shelley Wetherspoons branch a short 5 – 10 minute walk from the Lansdowne halls, offering everything from a full traditional breakfast for less than £5 to a whole main meal including a drink of choice for less than £10! If you are fancying something slightly more luxurious and trendy, take a visit to BH2 Leisure where you’ll find a range of restaurants such as:

Image from: https://www.strava.com/clubs/298065

• Ask Italian
  • Brewdog
  • TGI Fridays
  • Miller & Carter Steakhouse
  • Nandos
  • Pizza Express
  • Prezzo
  • The Real Greek

So there truly is something for everyone no matter what type of food you are craving on the day.

Now for my favourite part – cafes and coffee shops! Finding the perfect study spot is the best way to truly focus on your work, and I’ve found a few beautiful student friendly spots where you can refuel on caffeine whilst you work. The first cafe I visited in Bournemouth was Espresso Kitchen – a small cafe situated at the back of town. The upstairs seating area gives you a lovely view over the town and has plenty of room for you to spread out your work. Next, we have Esquires Coffee. This small cafe is full of greenery and rustic wooden seating areas, as well as providing you with student discounts! If you prefer chains, there’s plenty of Costas, Starbucks, and Prets around too so you will definitely find something to satisfy your studying needs.

I hope this guide is helpful for you whether you’re a new student or a current student! Explore your options and find your flavour…

P.S: Wherever you decide to visit, don’t forget to ask about student discounts at the check out!