Gauri Kashyap Produced by
from India

LLM Intellectual Property Law

Back in 2019 when I finally decided to come to Bournemouth University, I knew that the coming year was going to be different from everything I had ever known. From all the stories people tell about their time studying abroad, I had gathered that the year was going to be a new learning experience at the very least, and I couldn’t wait. I did not however, expect the degree to which this would be true, and how fantastic it was all going to be.

The University

The first thing I was determined to get right was the university experience. Over the first few weeks, I poured myself into my work, and did everything I could to understand how the education system here worked, and how I could thrive in it. I was swept away by the passion for law that the teachers here had, and how happy they were to get to know you and be part of your learning experience. The interactive method that the teachers adopted not only let me find my own voice, but also helped me listen to new ideas from new perspectives. The LLM course has students from both law and non-law backgrounds, helping us assess problems that were seemingly related strictly to law, from varied points of view.

My Friends

Celebrating Halloween and Diwali, learning about each other’s culture, and having fun!

The social life of a university student is not just about parties and pubs. It’s about finding out who you are among your peers, and learning how to be part of a community. I have had the opportunity to meet people from so many different parts of the world, and learn about how different we are in terms of our cultures and backgrounds, to finally realise the very human thing that makes us the same, no matter where we are from. I always that I knew that in theory, but to see this varied but unified nature of humans in action has given me a profound perspective on who we are.

How I Have Changed

I can safely say that I am no longer the person that came to BU in 2019. In ways I did not even realise, I have learnt to be more confident and open, and I have grown. The experience at BU taught me to love law again, and has showed me the world in its campus. There is of course more to learn as I grow, but the experience in the UK and at Bournemouth University will always be an unforgettable experience. I finish this academic year humming Aladdin’s “a whole new world, a new fantastic point of view” while truly feeling the words.