Two postgraduate students used networking opportunities provided by their MA to open doors to their dream jobs.

Now both working for Pinewood Studios Group, Jed Milton and Gianluca Romano met while studying for their Master’s in Sound Design for Film and Television last year. As students, the pair were invited to Short Sounds Film Festival where they met Glen Gathard, Head of Creative Audio at Pinewood. Glen hosted a masterclass on foley work and a networking event where Jed and Gianluca got introduced to Glen.

“We just started talking about sound and general stuff about the industry.” said Gianluca. Fast forward a few months and, having completed his studies, Gianluca was looking for a job, having moved to London to house share with other BU graduates. Jed tipped him off that Pinewood were advertising on Twitter and suggested he made an application.

Glen said “What appealed about Gianluca and Jed is that they are well-rounded individuals who both appreciated that they would have to work hard to make their way in this industry. It appears that they had been given a good grounding by their lecturers, they had the right attitude and the technical skills to back it up.”

“I started in April as a runner and it is really nice.” Gianluca commented. “I was asked to do a little editing work now and again and gradually built this up. At a certain point, just a few months in, they asked me to move into a Junior Sound Editor role.”

Both Gianluca and Jed are working on AAA title video game titles, designing sound effects, as well as editing the foley and dialogue.

Gianluca’s enthusiasm for the industry has paid off. “I’ve had to work a little longer when we’d had deadlines. I have to be flexible, starting early and finishing late some days. However, this is a really nice environment and I am gaining really good experience; it’s probably a dream come true!”