Imogen Byers Produced by

BA (Hons) Communication & Media

Before coming to uni, I was in my college sports team, member of a gym and a regular runner. Keeping fit is a healthy and a fun thing to do, so I was determined to try and keep it up during my student years, despite rumours of the dreaded freshers’ weight gain.

Luckily, there are so many ways to keep active at Bournemouth – my initial worries of becoming the stereotypical student couch potato living off take-aways and never going out in the sun immediately vanished when I saw all that was on offer. The huge range of sports societies and varsity teams at the university means that even the most un-coordinated of us will be able to find regular groups to play with: whether it be football, ultimate frisbee or snowboarding.  Also available to you and I are social sports such as, netball and running and they are provided by SportBU, taking place a couple of times a week. These are great if you’re not really up for being too serious about competition and just fancy a run around – it is also a great chance to meet new people.

Imogen - Gym

Everything I need for a full day

For those where the idea of team sports brings them to a nervous sweat, on Talbot campus there is also a fully equipped gym and group classes available. The student membership is just under £200 for the whole year and it really is worth it if you go often. It is easy to sneak in a cheeky cardio or weights session during gaps between lectures and there are even showers there so you don’t have to spend the rest of the day sweaty and hot. Lockers for members are free to use too so you don’t have to lug around all your kit with you the whole day. It’s so convenient for those busy uni days…

If gyming and team sports aren’t really your thing, Bournemouth is surrounded by amazing parks such as Meyrick and Kings that you can go running/ walking around. There is also the magnificent beach to explore and bicycles to hire on the promenade for those who wish to discover the wonder of The South Coast.  Being fit doesn’t have to be restricted to a field or gym. No matter what course you are on, or how hectic your timetable is, Bournemouth Uni has everything to make it a great and fun place to keep fit and, with so much on offer you’re bound to find something you enjoy!

Imogen - Running Track

A local running track at King’s Park.

One Response to “Keeping fit at uni”