Cecily-PaldinoBefore accepting my BU offer

Despite wanting to live in England for most of my life, I only recently discovered that I have a passion for forensic anthropology, or, the study of human bones to assist in solving crimes. Therefore, Bournemouth University was more than a perfect fit. The MSc Forensic Anthropology program enticed me to apply, and the town of Bournemouth affirmed my decision to accept.

It was the warmth and beckoning nature of BU staff and representatives that swayed my decision in choosing BU as my university of postgraduate study. They were the first university to get back to me with a decision, and as an international student, I felt as if I was a priority of Bournemouth University. I wanted to choose a school that I wanted and that wanted me, and I knew that Bournemouth was a perfect fit. When I received the email stating that I was awarded the Vice-Chancellor’s scholarship worth half my tuition fees, I had already decided to attend Bournemouth University. Despite that, receiving that scholarship not only lifted a lot of the burden off my shoulders in regards to funding, but it once again affirmed that my decision to study at Bournemouth University was the best decision I could have ever made for myself.

Starting at BU

I felt as if it was so easy to adjust to new life here in Bournemouth. I easily assimilated myself not only into British culture, but also into a new niche of friends (and now, a few months later, I am sure they will be important colleagues for the rest of my life).

I decided that postgraduate study was different from undergraduate in so many ways, but the most drastic is the friendships and connections I am making. Everyone in my degree of study works extremely hard to the best of his or her ability, which thus pushes me to do my best.

The instructors I have are nothing short of the best, and in just four short months, I can confidently say that not only have I learned more in this time than my four years at undergrad, but also the relationships with my instructors are stronger than ever. Rather than feeling the usual aura of intimidation from them, I feel as if I can approach them with ease and ask them questions to further my educational development.

The Area

The town of Bournemouth is, in itself, an entirely different treasure. It’s big enough that you are never left without anything to do, yet small enough that you can simply walk everywhere you want. With the sound of seagulls cawing into the early morning through the crack of my window, and the smell of the coast intertwined with the crisp wind, Bournemouth is the “college town” that I always dreamed about during my undergraduate years. Sometimes I wonder if I am here in Bournemouth to study, or just enjoying an extra long vacation, although the papers and hours of research I do for my degree allows me to come down from dreamland.

I decided that if I am going to live in the United Kingdom, I must obviously assimilate into British culture. I catch myself saying “rubbish bin” instead of “trash can” and “trousers” instead of “pants.” Although my British friends are impressed and of course proud, friends from back home can’t help but comment on my new use of words.

By Cecily Paldino, MSc Forensic Anthropology