PGDA gold awardJoining the Postgraduate Development Award is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The PGDA allowed me to fully develop myself personally and professionally, and has given me transferable skills which will benefit me for my whole life! I achieved the Gold Award and Outstanding Contribution Award which is something I am very proud of. This award has played a great role in making my year at BU one of the most precious experiences during my time in Bournemouth.

The programme provides opportunities to build skills in four key areas:

1. Research Skills, Knowledge and Technique

In this section, I attended some research and academic skills workshops, for example, SPSS workshop, Literature Search, Literature Review. These gave me confidence in doing my assignments. I gained some research skills which can be used in my future career.

1. Career Management and Personal Effectiveness

In terms of career management, BU strongly provides its students with employability support. The employability support office is next to the main library at Talbot campus. They are very happy to help go through your CV and guide and support you to ensure your CV is really outstanding. You can also ask them any questions about how to apply for jobs or placements, or any potential employers. For the MBA course, we were very lucky to have the assessment day where we had a talk with CV experts, interview practice with real employers and did some psychometric tests.

For personal effectiveness, I participated in many extracurricular activities both at BU and outside BU. I joined the champions club and organised a cultural day. I also represented Thailand in many multicultural days organised by the PGDA. The most exciting thing is, I did the skydive fundraising for two charities in the UK. I went skydiving for the first time and helped a good cause! These have been the most amazing experiences and fully stretched my potential.

Gam Skydiving
  1. Research Management

As a part of my course, I did two consultancy projects for two companies. Doing consultancy projects is a very realistic and practical way of utilising the skills you are learning during your course. I learned a great deal about research methods, project management, teamwork, problem solving skills and consultancy management. I loved this project as I had studied enough about theories, now I had the opportunity to put those theories into practice.

1. Networking, Team, Communication and Engagement

This was the section that I felt I got the most out of during my studies at BU. In my life, I never thought that I would be able to be a leader who led more than 100 people. I was elected to be the first female president of the Student Thai Society in Bournemouth. I initiated many new things for the society, for example, registering our society under SUBU, organising events and gathering Thai people to create a strong bond for our society.

Thai society

Another activity I am very proud of and would like to mention is that I was the only Thai official BU student ambassador for the 2014/2015 intake. This involved working with the Marketing and Communications department in the university and representing BU at events on campus.  For example, I undertook campus tours on Open Days with new UK students, I got involved in their primary schools mentoring scheme, and am currently working for the international pathways team assisting them with activities in the office. I learned a lot about how to work with others professionally, as well as being able to practice and develop my English and communication skills. It gives you valuable experience that compliments your study, as well as giving you extra money.

So why not join the PGDA and get the most out of your student life here at BU!

By Gam Prakaiwan