Tim-Hung-and-golfers-smallBU graduate Tim Hung talks about how a BSc (Hons) in Sports Management (Golf) has helped him get his dream job…

Having recently graduated from BU in Golf Management, I find myself back where I was during my 3rd year placement, ready to kick-start my career.

During my placement year at BU, I was lucky enough to work at the world’s largest golf resort – Mission Hills in China. I wanted to get into the resort for my 3rd year placement, as it could boost my CV and recognition within the golfing industry. Mission Hills was looking for overseas interns to help it get recognised as a worldwide international resort, so I was accepted!Mission-Hills-small

I was given the position of Overseas International Members & Guests Service Manager. My role was mainly looking after foreign clients in this multi-billion dollar asset company and assisting with International Tournaments. This gave me the opportunity to meet many famous people from Hollywood and the world of golf.Tim-Hung-and-pro-golfer-small

After returning to BU for my final year, I was adamant I wanted to return to Mission Hills. I was lucky enough to be given that opportunity and that’s where I am now. My role this time is a bit different though, as I’m about to start my Professional Golfers Association degree as a licensed Golf Professional – I’m one of the first to do so in this country!

The journey from BU to Mission Hills has made me realise how important it is to be in the right place at the right time. One of the first things I was told on my first day at BU was “it doesn’t matter what you know, it’s who you know”. The advantage of having a placement year means you can get out there and network with potential employers. If I hadn’t attended BU, it’s unlikely I’d be in the position I am now. It’s pretty safe to say that I owe this to BU!Tim-Hung-trophy-small

Being round the other side of the world means I’m a bit far from home, but I could not be prouder to represent BU as a graduate alumnus. The help and support I’ve received and still receive from the university is incomparable to anything I’ve experienced before.

Thank you BU!

golf-course-small