Eglė Produced by
from Lithuania

MA 3D Computer Animation

Applying to university requires consideration, research and preparation, especially when considering a foreign institution as every country has its own application system. In situations where you are facing unfamiliar territory, it is great to have a reliable source of information. Agents can aid by submitting applications to foreign universities on the student’s behalf.

While studying my UG in Lithuania, I decided I would pursue an MA degree. As I had trouble deciding on a university and generally wanted advice on how to tackle the process, I contacted a few agents in Lithuania that provide free consultation. These agents also assist students with UCAS applications to UK higher education. Agents are usually partnered with certain universities and have databases, that allow you to browse through available courses by filtering your interests, specialization etc. Agents can also provide information and advice on student loans, costs of living, housing or work opportunities and help connect you with people who have/are still studying in the university/course you are interested in. Furthermore, they can assist EU students with Student finance applications.

Applying to university can be overwhelming!

The agent will overview your application and will post it for you. My application to BU required the following documents, but they might vary depending on the course:

• A bachelor’s honours degree with 2:2 in any subject
  • a personal statement
  • a recommendation by someone from a professional background (internship, workplace etc.)
  • A recommendation by a professor from your UG course
  • a transcript of records
  • IELTS test (Academic 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component – other english language tests accepted)
  • a portfolio (sometimes required for art courses)
  • a copy of your passport/ID

All documents must be in English. The agent also advised me to submit a CV and a description of my UG course. The transcript of records or course description can be acquired through the deanery in your university’s faculty/academic unit.

If you are a current UG student, you can start the application process without having your diploma or english language score, as firstly you will receive a conditional offer (conditions include submitting the remaining documents). It is important to write a memorable personal statement, so you should not copy online resources. You must follow the traditional formalities, but your statement should be impressionable and express your motivation and character. It is beneficial to write about your UG experience, major projects, interests and explain why you are applying for the PG course. The agent will provide you with critical feedback on your PT. Regarding the recommendations, it is beneficial to ask a professor/manager you are close to, have maintained a good relationship with and excelled in their subject/workplace.

Although there is no fixed deadline for postgraduate applicants to apply, it would be better to try and apply before June or July if your course starts in September. Personally, the agent started my application in autumn, and I received a conditional offer (requiring me to finish my bachelor’s degree and IELTS) in winter. My application was updated in July and soon I received an unconditional offer.

International and EU students can also apply for various scholarships. EU students can receive the “Academic Excellence Scholarship” automatically, if their UG degree is equivalent to Upper Second-class honours (2:1).

With a good support system and reliable information, the application process should go smoothly. For me, I was grateful for the help and support my agent provided, not only regarding the university and course, but also everyday life in the UK.