Danielle Produced by

BA (Hons) Marketing Communications

According to the Higher Education Funding Council for England, the number of mature (aged 21 or over) UK-domiciled students starting full-time first degrees has steadily increased over the past decade. It rose to 70,215 in 2015-16, which was an increase of 2.9 per cent on the previous year. It’s true what they say, returning to full-time education can be one of the best decisions of your life. Don’t just take it from me (your regular student) or the plethora of universities – this short blog post features my mum’s experience of taking on university at the same time as me, allowing her to develop within her profession as an Adult Nurse To me , she’s mum, to everyone else she’s Maria, full-time mother and student.

What made you return to education?

I have always wanted to be Community Staff Nurse and did a little research into how I could fulfil this ambition. I discovered that I needed to return to education and gain the required qualifications. After speaking with family and friends, I decided to take the plunge and apply!

What has been the best thing about university?

I have loved meeting new people who share the same passions as me, all while progressing academically in my profession. 20 years out of education and I have shocked myself with my achievements, including A’s and B’s in my assignments. It’s been a great two years so far.

What was the most challenging aspect of adjusting to your studies?

I’d have to say balancing family life because not only do I have two daughters but also a toddler at the time of applying to university. Its taken quite a lot to get used to my full-time mum/student role, however, my time management skills have definitely improved. My youngest now even mimics me and says he has uni work to do when he’s playing and wants to be a nurse!

How would you describe being a mature student in three words?

Inspiring. Motivational. Rewarding.

Proud of you mum, can’t wait to see you graduate just a year after me! Discover more about lifetime learning from other mature student perspectives and advise from BU here.