Utku Huseyin is a BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism student. She recently attended the British Conference of Undergraduate Research to present her research project. Her guest blog explains the day and how she found the experience. 

Female student stands next to a easel with posterThe British Conference of Undergraduate Research 2024 (BCUR) took place at the London School of Economics (LSE). From 9 am to 6 pm, the day overflowed with opportunities to learn and connect.

The morning kicked off with registrations followed by warm welcomes from LSE staff and an inspiring speech from guest speakers. 

The mid-morning was a combination of both oral presentations and poster exhibitions. I chose to do a poster flash talk instead of an oral presentation because the idea of speaking for 15 minutes felt daunting. However, seeing other peers present their presentations with such passion made me realise there was nothing to be scared of. Everyone was supportive and friendly, which helped calm my nerves.

Lunchtime provided a chance to refuel with sandwiches and chat with fellow attendees. The afternoon offered a selection of workshops, and I chose to attend “Diversifying Your Thinking.” Later, more oral presentations filled the schedule.

As the day wound down, networking and drinks receptions provided opportunities to make connections and reflect on the day. The event gathered 380 undergraduates, some arriving alone like me, while others came in groups with their university. Despite my initial nerves, I quickly made friends. Everyone was eager to chat about their projects, showcasing a wide range of research topics from science to humanities. It was interesting to see the different perspectives of students in various academic years, including recent graduates.

The feedback I received for my project was very helpful, providing suggestions for improvement as I work towards my third-year dissertation. I’m even eager to present my completed dissertation at the 2025 conference and even challenge myself to deliver a 15-minute PowerPoint presentation if given the opportunity.

If you’re passionate about your research project, I highly recommend signing up for the conference. The application process is straightforward, and honestly, I didn’t expect to be accepted. So, receiving that email confirming my acceptance came as a huge surprise.

I felt reassured by the support from my university. They kept me informed through emails and Zoom calls, and covered all the expenses, from travel to accommodation. I’m grateful for their help and feel proud to represent my university.